radiator fluid leaking from engine block - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > radiator fluid leaking from engine block

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #1
jeepYJ.TO

radiator fluid leaking from engine block

is there anything i can do for a leaky engine block. Ive tried to pin point the spot where it's leaking and it looks to be behind the belt. Any sugestions would be great. thanks.

Grant Steering wheel
Shifter Nob
jeepYJ.TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
cjjeeper258

Its either going to be a gasket, a freeze plug, or a hose that is leaking. You were pretty vague on its location and the miles on your motor..

Either way, all the above are easy to fix if you have tools and a manual.
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
El Medico

There is stuff you pour in the radiator called Bars Leaks. It is a powder. Use that brand specifically. Pour two tubes in. If it doesn't stop your leak, I'll eat my hat!

Eric
El Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
cjjeeper258

And you will most likely be replacing you heater core if you don't disconnect the lines from it. Most stop leak products have a tendency to clog the heater core and it usually has to be replaced. So if you do use a stop leak product, be sure to disconnect the hoses going to the heater core.

Also, that product will not stop a hose leak, and if it does it won't stop it for long.

If you use any of these products, you have to realize that you basically band-aiding the vehicle. It could run for years or for a few days before the problem reappears. Fix it right if you can
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
El Medico

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjeeper258
And you will most likely be replacing you heater core if you don't disconnect the lines from it. Most stop leak products have a tendency to clog the heater core and it usually has to be replaced. So if you do use a stop leak product, be sure to disconnect the hoses going to the heater core.

Also, that product will not stop a hose leak, and if it does it won't stop it for long.

If you use any of these products, you have to realize that you basically band-aiding the vehicle. It could run for years or for a few days before the problem reappears. Fix it right if you can
I've been using Bars Leaks on various vehicles for more than 20 years and it has never failed me...
El Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
waterskijoe

I've had this same problem recently, and could not see exactly where it was coming from. It seemed to be coming from near the water pump and I suspected a leaking gasket (none of the hoses were leaking and the thermostat was not the problem). I had been putting off the repair, until now. My wife was driving yesterday when the Jeep started making sounds and water pouring out all over. I did not get to hear it, but have now removed the pump and it looks like it's done for. I am in the process of replacing it, hoping it's the problem and the leak will be gone too.

I also have an oil leak from the same area, possibly coming from around the timing chain cover gasket. While I'm this far into it, I am going to replace that as well, although removing the bolt for the pulley is kicking my #@*. Also considering replacing the front oil seal?
waterskijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
thecrewkid

Hi i dont know if anyone can help but i have just bought a N reg 1995 jeep cherokee. I drove it home and reslised there was a leak coming from near to the back of the engine. I cannot see exactly where it is coming from but the stuff that is leaking out is a kind of greeny brown colour. Any advice would be great please as i have no manual yet!!!!!!!

thecrewkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.