Quick ways to gain MPGs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Quick ways to gain MPGs?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quick ways to gain MPGs?

Hi y'all
I've got a 2000 tj 4.0 automatic I get about 13-14 mpgs per tank. I've heard that upgrading your distributor cap and spark plug wires is a sure way to gain HP and MPGs. Wondering if anyone has tried this and seen any noticeable results. I would also like to hear any other suggestions or results of chips, cold air intakes, gears, etc. I would be tickled to get 16-18 MPGs but any info about any of these options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jaxon

forumrunner_20130306_082605.jpg   forumrunner_20130306_082658.jpg   forumrunner_20130306_082744.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You don't have a distributor or spark plug wires.

There are lots of threads discussing all this crap. Use the search and read to your hearts content. Short answer is very few, if any, of them are worth the work. Best ways to improve gas mileage are to change driving style and to shed weight.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The mod you are thinking of is for the 4.2L, not the 4.0L.

You drive a brick on wheels. Go easy on the skinny pedal, air up your tires, keep the engine tuned up, grease up the u-joints regularly, lighten up the load you carry, avoid short trips if possible (give the engine enough time to fully warm up to operating temperature), regear to an appropriate ratio for your tires and driving habits...

... or get a small compact car or hybrid.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So what yall are saying is that modifications like exhausts, air intakes, and programming chips are a waste of time??
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Buy one of these. Install it in the cab where you can see it at all times. Drive according to the instructions that come with it.
vacuum-gauge.jpg  

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What is that? Looks like an active MPG gauge?
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxonroberts View Post
Vacuum gauge
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxonroberts View Post

Here's how it works:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8098066_driv...-gasoline.html

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate your input but I already stay out of the gas. I'm already that guy that stays even with a semi truck at a red light take off haha
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd really like to hear from some folks that have put a chip in their Jeep.
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
zgravity
2000 TJ Wrangler 

use inertia to your advantage. Inertia is the energy required to move an object at rest, to chance it's direction when in motion, and to bring it to rest while in motion. When you are coming to a stop let up on the gas and don't use the brake until you either have to or slow down enough as by using the brake you loose the potential energy that you have built up. This also works when taking an exit on the freeway. Time your speed with distance it takes a while to adjust but it works and your mileage should improve slightly. As far as using a chip what it does is gives the engine more power. With this power you can ease up on the gas as you will have the power to do so. A free flowing intake and exhaust also makes the engine gain power that combined with the chip you should be good for a mile or 2 per gallon. It's not a waste of money by doing those mods your making it easier for your engine to breath and exhale better and this will improve the life of the engine and make you a
gain some efficiency which turns into MPG gains. Don't look for a huge MPG gain it will not happen as with HP gain there is wallet losses.
Like I always said a car with a 2 barrel carb will get less mileage than a similar care with a 4 barrel carb because the 4 bbl carb has more power and you can back down on the throttle to get better results as a 2bbl carb.
zgravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

You could do many things and they will pay off, but it depends how long you're going to keep your vehicle, some may pay off after a few months, some may take a year and half.

Unless you're looking to cruise at 75mph and better that brick styling has no effect, aero issues don't come into play until beyond those speeds, as wittnessed with the TG tests on myhtbusters, no diff at 55 mph, except when they lost the weight of the tailgate on the truck.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I already drive it easy I always let off the gas early and accelerate slowly. I plan on keeping the Jeep for a good long time so I think that any kind of upgrades will help in the long run.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildriver-3 View Post
...Unless you're looking to cruise at 75mph and better that brick styling has no effect, aero issues don't come into play until beyond those speeds...
The Myth Busters test with the pickup and the tailgate is a completely different from most of our Jeeps. A pickup has better overall aerodynamics than a TJ, esp. a lifted TJ with larger tires. The typical pickup sits closer to the ground, has its narrower tires tucked into the body better, a more curved shape on the front and the windshield,...

A TJ has flatter, more vertical surfaces. A lifted TJ has more wind resistance than one with stock suspension. The wider, more exposed tires add to the frontal surface, as does the front axle. Everything about a TJ screams " Look at my aerodynamic drag! I see increased fuel consumption as I go past 60 MPH. I will sometimes hit 70 mph because of traffic, but seldom higher. I usually cruise at 65 MPH.

I quit being in a hurry many years ago. Leave early, enjoy the drive.
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
jaxonroberts
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I do that too I never get over 65 unless I'm in a hurry. Just wanting to know what could make the Jeep get better mileage besides driving techniques because I already do them all.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.