question about pulling a dana 30 carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > question about pulling a dana 30 carrier

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
TellicoTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

question about pulling a dana 30 carrier

Last night or this morning my Spartan locker decided one side didn't want to unlock and ive come to the conclusion that its the springs in the drivers side of the locker because the passenger side will ratchet but the drivers wont. I can kinda sorta drive it but when I turn, the locker unloads and locks again making the steering kinda squirrely.

anyway my question is, can I pull the carrier/ring gear out and drive it without the carrier/ring gear until I can get the new springs ordered and put in? also, if that would work would I have to pull the axle shafts out or can I leave them in? Either way I have to have it driveable by tomorrow evening because of work and this is my daily driver.

Ive still got my original spider gears somewhere but im afraid to put all that in because ive never done any work involving the gears and I had someone more knowledgable helping put in my locker early last year.

2.5 Liter club memer #169-Red Jeep Club meber #491
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremy93yj To coax out the poop, try rocking back and forth. If that doesn't work, try rocking side to side. Hold your cheeks apart with your hands while you push and scream at the top of your lungs. I also like to put my feet up on the wall and push against the toilet. Another way is to sit on the pot, reach down and grip the bowl with both hands, and push against the floor with your feet.
TellicoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

No you can't, nothing will hold the shafts they will just flop around in there. You cant pull the whole shaft out either, you need the outer shaft to hold the wheel bearing together. My Spartan bangs alot to I haven't dropped the differential cover since install I probably should though
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the ring gear off the carrier and your good...
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

carrier is still gonna turn and clunk
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

true but without a ring gear there will be even less torque sensing by the cross shaft and the insert halfs will try even less to stay engaged. The locker senses any poss or neg torque adn that effects locking. With no ring gear that will eliminate the drag of turning the pinion and bearing preload, as well as driveshaft spinning load and TC bearings and front assembly on TC.

But yes. If you want to fully get the locker out of the picture it needs to be removed, or Inner shafts need to be removed. and oil drained.
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.