Quadratrac Part-Time operation ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Quadratrac Part-Time operation ?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Raddek
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quadratrac Part-Time operation ?

I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!

Raddek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

More than likely the differential in the transfercase is going bad.

The way I understand it, its some kind of limited slip type setup.

Had a friend with a grand that got so bad we ended up pulling the front shaft. Only problem with that was that in park it would roll because the front shaft had no resistance to it at all.

Never the less....you could always swap a command trac case into it.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddek View Post
I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!
Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Raddek
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?
I will talk to my mechanic and have him take a look at the fluid levels. I mentioned the problem to him when I first bought the jeep (about a week ago), and he wasn't sure what could be the problem. But this time I will have him check the fluid just to make sure and thoroughly check other parts. I hope I haven't damaged anything by driving it like this. I'll keep updates posted and thanks for the replies!
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Raddek
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I changed the fluid myself and it still didn't change. It was about half a quart low. It still feels like it's in part-time after a while of driving and warming up. My mechanic has been really busy as of late so I will have to wait a while to take it to him.
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Raddek
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddek View Post
Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies
That's the limited slip type setup I was referring to.

And like I said. You could always swap a command trac transfer case in out of another jeep

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.