Quadratrac Part-Time operation ? - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Raddek
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: q
Posts: 4
Quadratrac Part-Time operation ?

I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!

Raddek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Holder350
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Whitesburg
Posts: 5,293
More than likely the differential in the transfercase is going bad.

The way I understand it, its some kind of limited slip type setup.

Had a friend with a grand that got so bad we ended up pulling the front shaft. Only problem with that was that in park it would roll because the front shaft had no resistance to it at all.

Never the less....you could always swap a command trac case into it.

Sent from my phone

95' XJ Country - Stock Skids - D30/D35 Limited Slip - 3" Lift - 31x10.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AX15 - NP231

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddek View Post
I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!
Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Raddek
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: q
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?
I will talk to my mechanic and have him take a look at the fluid levels. I mentioned the problem to him when I first bought the jeep (about a week ago), and he wasn't sure what could be the problem. But this time I will have him check the fluid just to make sure and thoroughly check other parts. I hope I haven't damaged anything by driving it like this. I'll keep updates posted and thanks for the replies!
Raddek is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Raddek
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: q
Posts: 4
Well, I changed the fluid myself and it still didn't change. It was about half a quart low. It still feels like it's in part-time after a while of driving and warming up. My mechanic has been really busy as of late so I will have to wait a while to take it to him.
Raddek is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Raddek
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: q
Posts: 4
Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies
Raddek is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Holder350
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Whitesburg
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddek View Post
Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies
That's the limited slip type setup I was referring to.

And like I said. You could always swap a command trac transfer case in out of another jeep

Sent from my phone

95' XJ Country - Stock Skids - D30/D35 Limited Slip - 3" Lift - 31x10.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AX15 - NP231

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome