JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Quadratrac Part-Time operation ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/quadratrac-part-time-operation-1562804/)

Raddek 08-15-2013 05:29 PM

Quadratrac Part-Time operation ?
 
I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!

Holder350 08-16-2013 01:53 PM

More than likely the differential in the transfercase is going bad.

The way I understand it, its some kind of limited slip type setup.

Had a friend with a grand that got so bad we ended up pulling the front shaft. Only problem with that was that in park it would roll because the front shaft had no resistance to it at all.

Never the less....you could always swap a command trac case into it.

Sent from my phone

cruiser54 08-17-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raddek (Post 15798790)
I just recently bought a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0 engine 193k miles and quadratrac drive. I've only just learned a little bit about the quadratrac system and how it's always in 4wd with 50/50 power distribution. However, it is acting like it is always in part-time operation. When I first start out while it is cold, the turning is nice and smooth with no problem and no resistance. After a while of driving and heating up, I notice I really start to feel the 4wd being on resulting in squealing tires and occasional hopping with tight turning. I have had a jeep in the past with a selec-trac system, and this 93 Grand Cherokee I have now is acting just as my other jeep has when it was in part-time operation.

I guess my question is, is the quadratrac system suppose to feel like it's in part-time operation all the time ? If that's the case then my tires will be eatin' away prematurely because of the resistance in turning. It only seems to do it after a while of driving. I also replaced the graphic display module hoping that I could select out of part-time operation, but nothing even lights up with the Full Time/Part Time/ Lo selections.. Thanks!

Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?

Raddek 08-17-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 15804146)
Holder350 has it spot on. But, I have to ask something. Have you checked your transfer case and other gearbox levels since your purchase?

I will talk to my mechanic and have him take a look at the fluid levels. I mentioned the problem to him when I first bought the jeep (about a week ago), and he wasn't sure what could be the problem. But this time I will have him check the fluid just to make sure and thoroughly check other parts. I hope I haven't damaged anything by driving it like this. I'll keep updates posted and thanks for the replies!

Raddek 08-21-2013 02:29 PM

Well, I changed the fluid myself and it still didn't change. It was about half a quart low. It still feels like it's in part-time after a while of driving and warming up. My mechanic has been really busy as of late so I will have to wait a while to take it to him.

Raddek 08-30-2013 06:16 PM

Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies

Holder350 08-30-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raddek (Post 15855236)
Turns out the viscous coupling is bad. I randomly found that out by searching. Well now I know. Thanks everyone for the replies

That's the limited slip type setup I was referring to.

And like I said. You could always swap a command trac transfer case in out of another jeep

Sent from my phone


The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.