Quadra trac Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Quadra trac Issues

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
slscarb
1978 CJ7 

Quadra trac Issues

I have read just about everything about the Quadra trac I could find on here, but I still haven't figured it out.
1978 CJ7 auto trans, low range
#1 I have no dash light showing that the E-drive is on. #2 only my fornt drive shaft is spinning, I have found the vacuum line coming through the fire wall but have no idea where to hook it up to, it was cut before I bought it. #3 What is the point behind the Quadra trac E-drive? #4 Where do I find out what trans I have? I joined Jeep Forum today, You guys are sure know your Jeeps!!!!

slscarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If only the front driveline is spinning, then the e drive isn't engaged (perhaps why the light isn't on).
One vacuum line goes from the intake to the e drive dial in the glovebox, then two lines from that to the top of the t case where the vacuum motor is located.
In order for the t case to operate in "normal" drive, both drive lines must be installed and both axles intact and the drive flanges in (the front axle). The front driveline can't rotate independently unless there is something wrong with the front axle. You can run with the front disengaged or the front driveline out, but you must engage the e drive to do so (back to the vacuum line issue).
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Do you have front locking hubs?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
slscarb
1978 CJ7 

cruiser54
I do have locking hubs.

jeepdaddy2000
I disengaged front locking hubs and the jeep doesnt move. I will reinstall the vacuum line this morning. If I am understanding your post (good chance I'm not) the problem is not in the transfer case?

Thank you both for your reply, I am heading back over to the garage I will repost my findings after I install the vacuum line to the intake.

PS: E-drive only runs the rear driveshaft?
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's the issue. QT originally had no locking hubs. It was a full-time system. Someone has installed a kit to make it work like a regular old transfer case.

This should help and send you in the proper direction.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdList.asp?scat=53
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
slscarb
1978 CJ7 

cruiser54
That makes sense, but I'm a novice. Now what? Do I just buy a new vacuum switch from bj's or is there more to this game.
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I would contact then and ask for advice/help and/or an instruction sheet for the kit before throwing parts at it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.