Is pulse air check valve neccesary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is pulse air check valve neccesary?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
larock
1983 CJ7 

Is pulse air check valve neccesary?

The pump air check valve for my jeep was rusted in half and they stopped making it ten years ago so finding a replacement has been impossible. I know it's part of the emissions system an I know I don't have to pass emissions do is it even necessary? When its not in the engine runs a lot louder so if its not necessary can I just plug it up with something? And if so any ideas for what to use as a plug?

larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think it's still available from parts stores....Post a pic.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't need the pulse air system in place for emissions testing, you can just remove all the pulse air parts. It'll clean up the engine compartment noticeably.

For plugs you can use vacuum line caps or rubber stoppers.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
larock
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
If you don't need the pulse air system in place for emissions testing, you can just remove all the pulse air parts. It'll clean up the engine compartment noticeably.

For plugs you can use vacuum line caps or rubber stoppers.
Do you know all of what I can take out? I really like the sound of de-cluttering my engine area but don't want to remove anything I shouldn't. Not sure if its simple ive tried to read up on it but ill take any advice you've got.
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a a vacuum diagram (not all inclusive) of the 4.2L engine:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more diagrams and 4.2L info go to: Adventures Under the Hood. Pretty much all you need to know about the 4.2L engine in the CJ and YJ. I recommend you check it out before doing anything. You'll at least understand what does what.

Caveat: I have removed the pulse air system from my Jeep, but it was in conjunction with removing the whole vacuum system in preparation for installing the Howell TBI. Please feel free to verify any of this with someone who has done just the pulse air delete.

I'd start with the check valve assemblies and solenoids - those are the easiest to locate. Both connect at the air filter housing - cap or plug the filter housing ports. For one pulse air line, the other end connects upstream at the exhaust manifold. You'll need to weld closed the manifold port - I welded a bolt into mine - might be easier if the manifold is removed. The other pulse air line connects downstream at the catalytic converter. You'll need to crimp and weld that cat port shut. You can also remove the decel valve. You'll want to keep the vacuum reservoir in the loop, so be sure to reroute the line so it stays functional.

The simplest way to do all this is to disconnect the part, trace the disconnected line to the nearest junction and place a cap at the junction. From there you can determine if the lines can be further simplified.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.