Problems After Running Out of Gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Problems After Running Out of Gas

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Akwoods
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Problems After Running Out of Gas

I hope this is the correct place to post this topic, I apologize if it is not.
I have a Jeep Liberty year 2002. One day my girlfriend ran out of gas while driving. The vehicle did it's typical stalling when driving but it eventually stopped that problem. My new problem is that after the vehicle is shut off it has to sit for, at first an hour, then two hours and now I'm stuck in a parking lot and can't get it started. I have started putting fuel injector cleaner in when filling up and haven't let my Jeep go below half a tank since the incident, it seems to just keep getting worse. I also haven't taken it to an auto store because I don't want to be stuck there for hours at all. What could be the problem? Is there any way to fix it without putting it in the shop? I'd also like to add all the Jeep dealerships and places that work on Jeeps around the area are very unprofessional seeing as I've had work done by them before. Thank you all for reading this.

Akwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,082
Could be the pump got fried when you ran it out of gas.Happens alot when poeple run out of gas,more so for GM's.Get the fuel pressure tested when the problem occures to make sure.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Shaggs2Dope
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 592
You may have sucked some sludge into the fuel filter. Try replacing that. Even if it doesn't fix your problem it won't hurt and it's only like thirty bucks.

Sent from my rezound using wicked black magic
__________________
juggalo
Shaggs2Dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Does the GF run the tank real low before she gasses up? That fuel pump relies on gas to keep it cool....believe it or not.

My wife does the same thing to her WJ. I told her if the fuel pump EVER gives up the ghost she should take it to a Jeep dealership for repairs because I warned her ONCE not to do that.

And, she should not bother to wear any underwear.......they will just get in the service managers way.
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Akwoods
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
It is now taking up to 4 hours to start the car. I can't take it to the shop here because they are scam artist that try to make you pay for things that aren't broken. I have to make a 300 mile trip in two weeks and need this better by then
Akwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwoods View Post
It is now taking up to 4 hours to start the car. I can't take it to the shop here because they are scam artist that try to make you pay for things that aren't broken. I have to make a 300 mile trip in two weeks and need this better by then
So, you are saying once this engine gets hot if you shut it off it will not start for four hours??
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwoods View Post
It is now taking up to 4 hours to start the car. I can't take it to the shop here because they are scam artist that try to make you pay for things that aren't broken. I have to make a 300 mile trip in two weeks and need this better by then
Well that narrows it down to a heat issue.Some sensor is getting to hot to function and has to cool down before it works again so the engine will start.

Need a good scanner to show all the pids to find out which one is at fault.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwoods View Post
I hope this is the correct place to post this topic, I apologize if it is not.
I have a Jeep Liberty year 2002. One day my girlfriend ran out of gas while driving. The vehicle did it's typical stalling when driving but it eventually stopped that problem. My new problem is that after the vehicle is shut off it has to sit for, at first an hour, then two hours and now I'm stuck in a parking lot and can't get it started. I have started putting fuel injector cleaner in when filling up and haven't let my Jeep go below half a tank since the incident, it seems to just keep getting worse. I also haven't taken it to an auto store because I don't want to be stuck there for hours at all. What could be the problem? Is there any way to fix it without putting it in the shop? I'd also like to add all the Jeep dealerships and places that work on Jeeps around the area are very unprofessional seeing as I've had work done by them before. Thank you all for reading this.
Ok, re-read your initial posting. "The vehicle did its typical stalling while driving" IS NOT typical. Running out of gas may not be related to your problem, but your problem seems to be getting worse.

I agree that it appears to be heat related but does it still stall while driving, or did that 'go away'?
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Does this Liberty have the 2.4 engine? If it does I suspect that the ignition coil is NG.
Attempt to start it when the engine is cold. Does it start? Good! Shut it off. Now heat up the ignition coil with a hair drier or heat gun then try again. If it doens't then you just found your problem. Bad coil!
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Akwoods
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
The stalling has stopped now it is just the not starting. It turns over but doesn't catch the times that it takes longer to start. I have also noticed that the time I have to wait to start it is related to how much I drove it before it was shut off. And the jeep is a 3.4
Akwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwoods View Post
The stalling has stopped now it is just the not starting. It turns over but doesn't catch the times that it takes longer to start. I have also noticed that the time I have to wait to start it is related to how much I drove it before it was shut off. And the jeep is a 3.4
If it is a four cylinder it is a 2.4. If it is a six cylinder it is a 3.7. Which one is it? A four or a six cylinder?
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Akwoods
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

If it is a four cylinder it is a 2.4. If it is a six cylinder it is a 3.7. Which one is it? A four or a six cylinder?
3.7 just typed the wrong last number
Akwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwoods View Post
3.7 just typed the wrong last number
That makes a diffrence. The six banger has individual coils for each spark plug doesn't it?

This jeep has an ignition coil capacitor which is clipped onto the wiring harness trough near the brake booster.

Google up 56041915AB This is a part that heat might affect. It costs about $5.00.
For the heck of it run the engine until it is hot. Shut it off, go back a minute or two later and attempt to start it. If it does not start, place a bag of ice cubes against this ignition coil for three or four minutes. If it fires up you know the capacitor is NG.
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.