PROBLEM NEED HELP-Coolant Leak & Smoking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > PROBLEM NEED HELP-Coolant Leak & Smoking

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
bb_ash
2003 KJ Liberty 

PROBLEM NEED HELP-Coolant Leak & Smoking

Please, I need help!!!

Several days ago my heats stopped working & the blower was fine, thermostat was fine, it was just blowing ice cold air. My brother checked it immediately and there was no coolant so he put coolant & water in and it was fine.

It drove fine afterwards although I didn't drive much.

2 days later after driving for a short period I pulled over & noticed that smoke was coming from under the hood. I checked it again- no coolant....

When putting coolant in, and letting the car run to check things out, I realized that there is definately a visable link at the front passanger side. It appears to be coming out of the motor at the front I believe by what i call the pulley area.

I'm a female and don't know much about cars so sorry for any -vagueness....my step mom said she thought there was something I could buy for about $20 to put in and stop the leak but what could it be? I appreciate any help.

My Jeep is a 2003 Jeep Liberty 5 speed 4WD

Beth

bb_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

NEVER use a radiator Stop Leak product. It will permanently clog you heater core and lead to additional repair costs.

You need to find the cause of the missing coolant problem immediately and have it repaired. Repeatedly overheating the engine or running it out of coolant can crack the head or destroy the engine, leading to many hundreds of dollars in repairs.

Your problem may simply be a loose or damaged radiator hose or possibly a failed water pump. Only a diagnostic inspection can fully determine the problem source.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
bb_ash
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the advice. I'm having it looked at tomorrow.... I'm thinking water pump or gasket
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
bb_ash
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just for future reference or anyone who reads this post w/same problem, my water pump was bad.... It was pretty easy to replace and the part itself was only $50. (CJ7-Tim was right!! Thanks!!)

Tags
coolant , leak , motor , problem , smoke

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.