PowerTrax no-slip issues? or normal? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
ochoco
1997 XJ Cherokee 

PowerTrax no-slip issues? or normal?

I am a Rural Carrier for the USPS and use my RHD XJ every day on my route. My route is approximately 55 miles long and consists of a lot of long gravel roads and driveways.

My 97 XJ has a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline open rear differential. I was tired of constantly spinning when pulling away from mail boxes where I generally have one tire on pavement or solid ground and the other on gravel or mud. I assumed the PowerTrax No-Slip would fit the bill for what I was needing.

There are two things it is doing which concern me and I'm coming here to find out if they are normal operation of this locker or there may be something wrong.
First; when I pull away from a mailbox my right rear tire is just spinning and my left is doing nothing. Most noticeable in deep gravel. This happens about 75% of the time with the other 25% I pull away easily with no wheel spin.
Second; when I accelerate it pulls hard to the left. As soon as I let off it over corrects back to the right hard.

When I installed the no slip everything seemed to go as the directions described so I'm not sure what could be the problem. I did the tire test by jacking the rear up while in park. Holding one wheel forward against the drive line and turning the opposite wheel backwards. Both sides made the ratchet sound and would not turn the same way as the wheel being held.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
ochoco
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to pull the locker out and verified that nothing was broken. I re-installed it and it's doing the same things it was before. Spinning out while trying to pull back on the road bugs me the most because I was under the impression that if one wheel slips the other should take over. Not the case most of the time.

After I got it back together the second time I did the wheel test. With the vehicle in park and the rear in the air I had my son hold the right tire forward against the drive line and was able to spin the left tire backwards producing the ratchet sound. I tried to rotate it forward and it just stopped. I then swapped sides and got the right side to ratchet backwards but when I spun it forward it ratcheted forward as well....
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 PM
u2slow
2005 KJ Liberty 

Doesn't sound right. I put the powertrax in the front... it always locks solid when I'm on the gas (in 4wd). A little torque steer when shifting gears (manual trans), but thats about it.

Did you include the washers from the old side gears or not? Some applications say to use them, others say not to. Did you get the right unit for the open diff?

CHRY 8.250 29 OPEN 92-0382-2905
CHRY 8.250 29 TRAC-LOK 92-0382-2925

Are your tire pressures and and tire wear the same? That could explain pulling to one side.

2005 KJ V6/6spd/3.54 posi, No-Slip locker (front), 3" lift.. and some Dodges w/cummins

post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
ochoco
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
Doesn't sound right. I put the powertrax in the front... it always locks solid when I'm on the gas (in 4wd). A little torque steer when shifting gears (manual trans), but thats about it.

Did you include the washers from the old side gears or not? Some applications say to use them, others say not to. Did you get the right unit for the open diff?

CHRY 8.250 29 OPEN 92-0382-2905
CHRY 8.250 29 TRAC-LOK 92-0382-2925

Are your tire pressures and and tire wear the same? That could explain pulling to one side.
I did not re-install any of the original washers.

I put brand new tires on a few days ago with equal tire pressure and the same problems exist as before.

It pulls hard to the left when I accelerate and immediately snaps back when I let off the gas. I've also had to put it in 4wd to pull out of gravel on the side of the road to avoid making a big mess from spinning in the gravel. My original open differential gave me better traction than this is.

Thank you for your reply.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4716.jpg  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM
u2slow
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you check the gap with the included piece of square key-stock (checkblock) material?

I've installed and helped/witnessed several No-Slip and Lockright products over the last 10-15 years.... none have done what you're describing.

Here's another install thread... compare notes?
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=204634

Another thread that talks about putting in different thickness washers to get it right...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sol...nstall.804818/

2005 KJ V6/6spd/3.54 posi, No-Slip locker (front), 3" lift.. and some Dodges w/cummins
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
ochoco
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I used the go-no-go gauge they shipped with it. Narrow side fits all the way around thick side does not.

Thank you for the links. I read through the first one before I did the first install.

The instructions said not to use the original washers.

I have been trying to talk to the manufacturer but they never answer or call me back. I did get an email back from them but they just asked me about broken paddles which I told them I had checked them in the original email I sent.

It is not much fun to drive right now.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-16-2017, 05:32 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any auto locker will pull a little when you are shifting gears. u2 is correct, mine has never done what you are describing.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 12:34 AM
chevymad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure why you're getting slipping. I have one in my 74 Firebird and I get similar reactions when I get on or off the gas. On the gas pulls one direction, letting off the throttle sends you in the other. But mine always locks under throttle like it's supposed to.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 03:51 PM
u2slow
2005 KJ Liberty 

I would try to install it with the shims.

There is a possibility the carrier is worn, so there's too much slop.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
ochoco
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got a hold of the manufacturer and they told me to measure the distance from the center pin to the side gear shoulder on each side and they should be within .008 of each other. Mine is just under 1/8th" difference. They told me it will not work with my carrier being that far off because only one side will engage. So I guess all I can do now is try and get a refund from the vendor I purchased it from. It is a bummer as I really wanted it to work but I can not afford to try and find another differential and hope it's within tolerance. Not to mention having to keep putting new fluid and gasket maker on each time I mess with it.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 PM
u2slow
2005 KJ Liberty 

If there's 1/8" difference between the two sides... your open carrier is worn, and your old spider gears can't be happy either.

IMO you have a problem to fix whether you keep the locker or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.