Powertrain Warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Powertrain Warranty?

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
medx2b

Powertrain Warranty?

I bought my '08 Commander (my 3rd jeep) from a dealer as a certified used vehicle. Here comes the catch. I was told the vehicle was only owned by the dealer listed as "corporate" on my car fax sheet. Thus I would be the first registered private owner and all warranties were in effect. Now they tell me I'm not the first owner, the dealer was so my powertrain warranty is not valid. Any thoughts?

I should say they did not argue on the 3year/36k warranty. Except that whenever I brought it in to them complaining of a noise when I accelerated they told me it was "normal". Well the noise has slowly gotten louder and louder and it is very clearly now the rear end. I do have record of bringing it in for this noise at 29k and 34k. They of course say if something was not working then it would have completely broken by now at 75k so I must have done something to it in the meantime. Typical dealer run around. I am by no means a mechanic but the rear axle can wear out and get slowly worse over time correct? It doesn't just fall off.

So if the car was a dealer loaner like they told me and I was the first registered private owner at 6mo old then does anyone have any suggestions how I should approach these guys? They keep giving me the "your a dumb girl" attitude.

Also any thoughts on what it costs to fix this? Or a range? Its basically a whine in the rear end that gets louder with acceleration. As soon as I take my foot of the gas it stops.

Thanks for any help. BTW I love this Jeep just not this noise.

medx2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Talk to Chrysler Jeep HQs. Explain the whole story to them. Be EXTREMELY NICE TO THEM!!!!!!!!They take your attitude into consideration. DO NOT BAD MOUTH ANYBODY OR ANYONE. They dont want bad press so they often will work with you. Please feel free to PM me with your # and I will call you back and help you through this process.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your question about rear ends. They can catastrophic fail or they can fail over time. The best way to check for a slow abnormal wear, is to pop the rear diff cover and run a magnet through the oil. Check the carrier for side to side movement. As long as youre sure its the rear end making noise, you probably have a bearing issue. There is one on either side of the carrier. Failure of these can be caused by oil starvation, heat, oil contaminates. If it were me I would skip messing with the dealer and take it to a differential shop with a good rep. If its a bad bearing it will probably cost you 100 for the parts and 350 for labor. At the very most, a new carrier, ring and pinion, plus install kit and labor is still under 1200. So don't let the dealer quote you no 2k nonsense - they do it all the time like some cash cow maneuver. I wouldn't be overly nice to them either, why? They can stick it.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
medx2b

Thanks for the information. Although I'm not sure I will be popping anything off myself, I change wipers and brakes and could probably due the oil if it wasn't a hastle to get rid of it. I am definitely not mechanically savy. Ron, how do you suggest I contact HQ? I tried that when I bought the compass brand new and the transmission was a lemon. They blew me off so I traded it for the commander (within 3 months) which is why I bought the commander with the supposed power train warranty. What do you think the best method is to contact them? Thanks again for the responses.
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get the # from the service writer at your dealership.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medx2b View Post
I bought my '08 Commander (my 3rd jeep) from a dealer as a certified used vehicle. Here comes the catch. I was told the vehicle was only owned by the dealer listed as "corporate" on my car fax sheet. Thus I would be the first registered private owner and all warranties were in effect. Now they tell me I'm not the first owner, the dealer was so my powertrain warranty is not valid. Any thoughts?

I should say they did not argue on the 3year/36k warranty. Except that whenever I brought it in to them complaining of a noise when I accelerated they told me it was "normal". Well the noise has slowly gotten louder and louder and it is very clearly now the rear end. I do have record of bringing it in for this noise at 29k and 34k. They of course say if something was not working then it would have completely broken by now at 75k so I must have done something to it in the meantime. Typical dealer run around. I am by no means a mechanic but the rear axle can wear out and get slowly worse over time correct? It doesn't just fall off.

So if the car was a dealer loaner like they told me and I was the first registered private owner at 6mo old then does anyone have any suggestions how I should approach these guys? They keep giving me the "your a dumb girl" attitude.

Also any thoughts on what it costs to fix this? Or a range? Its basically a whine in the rear end that gets louder with acceleration. As soon as I take my foot of the gas it stops.

Thanks for any help. BTW I love this Jeep just not this noise.
If the dealership had it titled in there name for loaner/other uses then that would be a "private owner" since dealerships are privately owned.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
medx2b

It gets worse...

So I tried calling corporate, tried talking to the regional GM basically they gave me the run around. First it was your model never has a lifetime power train but you right your the first private owner, then I copy and paste their own warranty to them and they say oh but it had to be purchased separately because we don't put it on the corporate vehicles... I said it came standard on 06-09 models, then its oh well you bought it used and we circle back to i'm the first private owner. Then the regional GM has the balls to tell me multiple times in the conversation that if I wanted good customer service and warranties I should have bought a brand new car. Well it was 6mo old less then 10k miles at purchase, that's pretty darn new. So basically they refuse to do anything but maybe give me a discount on the repair. Thanks but no thanks.

I took it to a powertrain shop and they said fix it and take them to small claims afterward. Ok fine, got it fixed. Guess what? The back was so loud that I didn't hear the front. Now the front is making noise. Take it back to the powertrain shop and they say they see this all the time, jeep had a run where they put in axles that were too small for the load of the vehicle and in all likelihood the differential I just fixed will be bad again in a few years because its still too small for the jeep. So even if I fix the front I'm setting myself up for another 3k repair in three years....

Any thoughts on this? Have you guys heard about an axle problem on the jeeps at all or differential problems? I find it absurd that both differentials are bad at 70k and that the dealer won't honor the warranty. I'm about to call an attorney on this one, got any amo for me to use?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.