Power Steering Fluid Ran Out: Permanent Damage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Power Steering Fluid Ran Out: Permanent Damage?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
kevando

Power Steering Fluid Ran Out: Permanent Damage?

My 1998 Jeep Cherokee ran out of power steering fluid and now the belt rattles significantly. I'm on my way to get more fluid to replenish the car, but I'm not confident this will stop the rattling. It seems like a serious issue.

I will follow up with a video. Please ask any questions to help make this post more useful. This is my first time posting for a forum about my car.

kevando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Ive ran a while very low on ps fluid without noticable damage. . But if you see the pulley wobbling that aint good. Im not sure about the xj (cherokee) but on the zj (grand cherokee) the ps pump bracket is known for cracking. Its worth the $5 to fill her up and see if the problems go away first
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
copmedic309
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Where's the leak? Normally you don't just "run out" check the box and pump for leaks
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
kevando

Thanks for the responses! It was certainly more than the ps going out. The pulley was wobbly and rattled so much that it leaked completely out. I replaced the power steering pump and the hoses (in and out take) and my problem is fixed!

I never did something like this before and ran into a few issues along the way. If anyone would like a more detailed synopsis I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks again
kevando is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.