Possible transfer case issue CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Possible transfer case issue CJ7

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Comex
1979 CJ7 

Possible transfer case issue CJ7

Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to describe my problem please bare with me I've never touched a vehicle before this so its been a lot of manual reading and googling so to say just to be able to get some of the right terminology. Also I've never worked on a vehicle but I'm more than willing to figure it out if need be. Also thanks in advance for anyone that responds to this. If you don't mind use the correct terminology even if its above me head.

Let me just go ahead and dive right into the problem. When I'm in drive and I am putting any type of load on the back tires such as going up a hill I get a popping noise. I decided to jack it up and to test the thought of it being the transfer case. So first I had the back wheels chocked and blocked and had the front up on jack stands. I put it into drive and the front wheels started spinning unfortunately the backwheels did not have enough 'gusto' to push the jeep much less attempt to climb the blocks. Shortly after I decided to put the entire jeep on blocks thinking that I had just lost my whole rear end drive. Totally not the case. I put it in drive and all 4 wheels are spinning. The only time I can hear the noise is when I'm going up a hill from a complete stop it sounds as if its just a click click click and it stops when I get to the top or get to a quicker pace (above 15 mph). Any advice/suggestions would be more than greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
mmerlinn

Check your u-joints.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Comex
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
Check your u-joints.
Unfortunately I have checked them and their not the culprit.

I parked against a wall and when I put it in neutral or reverse I could hear a squeeking from the skid plate so I'm hoping it's just the chain extremely loose.
Comex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , jeep , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.