Possible Carb Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Possible Carb Problem?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
SoCalBear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Possible Carb Problem?

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help here because my limited knowledge has reached it's limit.

I have 1987 Wrangler YJ and I think I am having a problem with the carb.

This problem has only happened twice which is one of the things throwing me off.

When I go to start the Jeep, which had been running within the past 20 minutes, it won't start. It sounds like it isn't getting any gas.

To get the Jeep started I've had to prop open the paddle on the carb with something like a pen and then go start the Jeep.

It's not stuck because I can mess with it and then let it go back to it's resting place before starting it but it doesn't start until it is held open, but then it runs good from then on.

I thought it was just some freak problem the first time it happened but when it happened again today I think there might be a problem.

Any help would be great.

SoCalBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

If that top plate is staying shut on a warm engine, it sounds like the choke is either broken or out of adjustment. For diag you can try to wire the choke plate open and see if that helps. If you wire it open it may have a little bit of problems starting cold depending on how coolw it id outside but you could at least get an idea of whats wrong when the engine is warm.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.