Pointers on rear main install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Pointers on rear main install

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
etnies88

Pointers on rear main install

Tonight i removed the rear main which was a pain in the *** getting it out of the block.
Im going to the dealer for parts tomorrow, Anyone have some good pointers to suggest. I have been looking at a DIY on a website somthing about putting soap on the seal and oil and some sealeant?
Main reason i replaced was the oil leak it was really getting worse, plus i dont have to worry about running low on oil and screwing everything up

97 Integra GSR *JRSC* 4cy fun.
etnies88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
jeep_on

Should be a two part seal. If it is, its easy to replace. Get a service manual at a parts store.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Yeah that replacement was a real PITA when I first did it on my buddy's jeep. Buy like 2 or 3 of those seals cause they have a tendency to get scraped by the block if your not careful slipping 'em back in. Once they get scraped your back to square one (leaky seal).

Like you mentioned, the soap and oil will really really help you out. Also, you may want to consider using a "sneaky pete" oil seal remover/installer kit. They will help you out and its like $24 at sjdiscountools.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.