Please help im lost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Please help im lost

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
gam191982

Please help im lost

91 cherokee 4.0. My jeep has been acting really strange. Some days it drives great other days horrible. Idle is rough 80% of the time when I stop at a red light it feels like its choking and wants to die. When I hit the gas I get a lot of jerking and vibration, but sometimes it drives as if it was new. I already changed fuel filter and checked vacuum lines, new battery. One problem I did find was with my exhaust. it was done about 1year ago they said the converter was good so they did from the muffler to the tailpipe. They over streched the muffler side over the converter and air is just flowing out between the 2 sections. I went to auto store they sold me some stuff to put on it to seal it, right now its drying. I didnt realize the exhaust problem earlier because I havent drove it since i got the exhaust done.
Is this vibration and jerking due to the exhaust problem I found or is it worse. Any advice I'd really apprecitate. Thank you.

gam191982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
gam191982

O and somebody told me to go turn my key 3 times and I would get codes of problems. I did that today and I got a 12 (battery disconnect which I just put a new one in) 33 (a/c clutch relay or short circut but i dont care about a/c) 15 (speed sensor, speed odometer doesnt work plan on doing that later)
gam191982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an alternator going bad. While the jeep is running pull off the negative battery terminal and see what happens. If the jeep dies then your alternator is bad.
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJayPA
Sounds like an alternator going bad. While the jeep is running pull off the negative battery terminal and see what happens. If the jeep dies then your alternator is bad.
That is not true. Does not sound like a alternator problem. Check ur fuel pressure. Should be at 55 psi. Check ur plugs and wires. When is the last time it had a tune up. Make sure u dont have leak down in an injector. Make sure ur map and maf sensors r clean. Along with ur iac (idle air control). Check all ur body grounds. Wiring is very important. Ur have any questions. Just pm me
Pitbull330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Start with a solid tuneup. Plugs,wires,cap and rotor. Then see how it runs. Buy good wires as cheap will only go bad quickly.
You cant diagnose other problems until the basics are in good shape.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
55hangman

Is the air filter clogged nobody has mentioned it, your engine will get hard to start and run like crap il admit its gotten me in the past
55hangman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Any luck yet
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Pm'd
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
fitzp20102
1983 CJ7 

I'm with Pitbull. Sounds like some common tune up issues. OR if the problem is hit or miss, that commonly will get you to a dying fuel pump. Is it rough to start, as in it takes a few seconds of cranking before it finally fires up? If the fuel pump is going, it takes longer to get the fuel pressure built up during startup, and then gives poor delivery throughout... But always start with the plugs, wires, and wile you're doing plugs it's easy to quickly check your cylinder pressure.
(301) 960-5125

Now dealing with ROUGH COUNTRY SUSPENSIONS and YUKON AXLE & GEAR!

The best Teraflex deals on the East Coast! From Teralow gear sets to 6" LCG kits with Fox Racing Shocks and all lift kits in between. Inquire Within! A new business with fantastic introductory prices!
fitzp20102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Pitbull330
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzp20102
I'm with Pitbull. Sounds like some common tune up issues. OR if the problem is hit or miss, that commonly will get you to a dying fuel pump. Is it rough to start, as in it takes a few seconds of cranking before it finally fires up? If the fuel pump is going, it takes longer to get the fuel pressure built up during startup, and then gives poor delivery throughout... But always start with the plugs, wires, and wile you're doing plugs it's easy to quickly check your cylinder pressure.
Very well stated. I don't believe I mentioned a compression test. Good job. thanks. If u do a compression test each cylinder should be around 130-150psi.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If if wont start take a hair dryer and dry the cap,coil and plug wires. This will dry them and let the spark get to the pluds instead of going to ground.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.