Please help, 95 YJ wont start - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Please help, 95 YJ wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayj4u2c View Post
So I haven't gotten the solenoid yet, but I've got to thinking about what I did to the jeep in between the time it started and then didn't start. Is it possible I fried my PCM by doing a bunch of welding on the jeep without disconnecting the battery first?
Turn the ignition to the ON position. Does the CEL light up for several seconds? If it does it is probably OK.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #32
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhhh......you never mentioned any welding!

How did that slip your mind? You're probably not as old or as in poor a condition as I am, so don't you be using your age or health as an excuse!! Those excuses are taken!

Maybe it did but I don't got me no crystal ball to know about this stickin' metal together thing you were doing....

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
ayj4u2c

Not old but still suffering from sometimers! Haha

CEL does come on for several seconds, it will even give me codes, the normal 12, 33, 55.

I'll get back tomorrow after the install of the solenoid!

Still want to know why my fuel pump still won't kick on.
ayj4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #34
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

CEL does come on for several seconds, it will even give me codes, the normal 12, 33, 55.

So, your brain is good.

Unread 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #35
ayj4u2c

Not so sure about MY brain but the YJ is good!
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

More information that might help. Again not everything makes sense but if you look at some of the pictures posted already it might make more sense

FUEL PUMP RELAY
• When the ignition switch is in either the START or RUN position, it connects circuit A1 from fuse 4 in the PDC to circuit A21.
• Circuit A21 powers fuse 5 in the fuse block.
• Circuit G50 from fuse 5 splices to power the coil side of the fuel pump relay.
• The PCM provides ground for the relay on K51
• Circuit K51 connects to the cavity 51 of the PCM.
• When the PCM grounds the fuel pump relay, contacts inside the relay close and connect circuit A14 from fuse 1 in the PDC to circuit A141.
• Circuit A141 supplies voltage to the fuel pump motor (which is part of the fuel pump module in the fuel tank.)

FUEL PUMP MODULE (MOTOR AND LEVEL SENSOR)
FUEL PUMP MOTOR
When the fuel pump relay contacts close, circuit A14 feeds the fuel pump motor.
• Circuit Z2 provides ground for the fuel pump motor.
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
The fuel level sensor is a variable resistor. Circuit G4 connects the fuel level sensor to the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster.
• Circuit G5 from fuse 9 in the fuse block supplies voltage to the fuel gauge. The fuel level sensor draws voltage from circuit G5 through the fuel gauge on circuit G4.
• Circuit Z2 provides the ground path for the fuel level sensor.

MORE INFORMATION
As the current flows through the coils in the fuel gauge, it creates a magnetic field. One of the coils in the gauge receives fixed current. The other coil is connected to the level sensor. The magnetic field controls the position of the fuel gauge pointer.
The fuel level sensor contains a variable resistor. As the position of the float arm on the fuel level sensor changes, the resistor changes the current flow through second coil in the field gauge. A change in current flow alters the magnetic field in the level gauge, which changes the pointer position.

Unread 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #37
ayj4u2c

It makes sense. Just need to start tracing and testing.
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
ayj4u2c

So back at it after the weekend. New starter installed, still nothing. Tested and traced wires from ign switch to PDC all wires into it have power. Tested all wires coming out of the ASD relay, Starter and fuel pump relays. Every thing has power coming out of PDC. Only question on that is the ASD relay only sends power out when I turn the key on is that supposed to have constant power out? So a lot of work done to be at the same point. Cause there is still nothing working!

Last edited by ayj4u2c; 04-28-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #39
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So back at it after the weekend. New starter installed, still nothing. Tested and traced wires from ign switch to PDC all wires into it have power. Tested all wires coming out of the ASD relay, Starter and fuel pump relays. Every thing has power coming out of PDC. Only question on that is the ASD relay only sends power out when I turn the key on is that supposed to have constant power out? So a lot of work done to be at the same point. Cause there is still nothing working!
ASD stuff

AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN RELAY (ASD relay)
• When the ignition switch is in either the START or RUN position, it connects circuit A1 from fuse 4 in the PDC to circuit A21.
• Circuit A21 powers fuse 5 in the fuse block. Circuit G50 from the fuse 5 splices to power the coil side of the Automatic Shut Down relay.
• The PCM provides ground for the relay in circuit K51.
• Circuit K51 connects to cavity 51 of the PCM.
• Circuit A14 from fuse 1 in the PDC supplies battery voltage to the contact side of the ASD relay.

MORE INFORMATION
• Along with supplying voltage to the ASD relay contacts, circuit A14 also supplies battery voltage to the contact side of the fuel pump relay.
• Circuit G50 also supplies battery voltage to the coil side of the fuel pump relay.
• Circuit A14 also connects to cavity 3 of the PCM.

Unread 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #40
ayj4u2c

Sooo finally back at it. I have my multi meter and have checked voltage at pin 3, pin 9 and pin 51. All read right around 12volts. Still at a loss
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #41
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have to see if the fuel pump relay is sending power to the fuel pump.

relay pin out

Note which side is the coil side of (#85 & #86 the side that operates) the relay and which side is where the voltage gets sent to the item requiring power. If you pull the relay you can use a jumper wire to hot wire the circuit (pin 30 to pin 87).

Unread 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #42
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hope this information helps you. I am not going to have much free time this week end to answer any question you might have. Hopefully you can figure it out or someone else may chime in and actually help you!

Unread 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #43
ayj4u2c

Still no power to the fuel pump with a jumper wire. I have good ground at the pump but no juice. All relays have tested fine.
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #44
ayj4u2c

Time to sell it and start fresh I think!
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #45
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Time to sell it and start fresh I think!
Pull the fuel pump relay and check for voltage at pin 30. You should have 12 volts there. If not then the fuse in the PDC for the fuel pump relay may be blown. DO NOT look at it causally insure that it is good with a multi-meter if necessary.

Then check for continuity from one side of the fuse socket mentioned to pin 30 of the fuel pump relay. If you have no continuity then the wire has a break in it.

If that all checks out:

Pull the fuel pump relay first. Then turn your key to the ON position. Check for 12 volts at pin 87 of the fuel pump relay socket. IF you have voltage there then the wire to the fuel pump may be broken.

With the ignition off check for continuity between pin 87 of the fuel pump relay socket and the power wire on the fuel pump. Do you have continuity?

If you do then re-install the fuel pump relay and turn the ignition to ON again. Do you have voltage at the fuel pump...you should since you had continuity. If you do the fuel pump is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.