Please help, 95 YJ wont start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Please help, 95 YJ wont start

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Questions:

Does this engine turn over?

The fuel pump does not run. Did you check the fuse #5 in the fuse block?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
ayj4u2c

The engine does turn over. All fuses under the dash are good. Except there is no power to the one labeled ACC LPS. Which would be #10 on your diagram
ayj4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayj4u2c View Post
The engine does turn over. All fuses under the dash are good. Except there is no power to the one labeled ACC LPS. Which would be #10 on your diagram
Fuse box list...forgot to post it!

Let me get back to you in a minute or three. Do you have a multimeter?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the starter does not make a sound then let us think about the starter circuit.
I'm freaking losing it. You need to check fuse #4 in the PDC under the hood.

FORGOT THIS!!!!

If that fuse is NG you get NADA from the ignition switch. Pull the fuse and check it with a multimeter unless it is obvious that it is blown.

Unread 04-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
ayj4u2c

Fuse #4 in PDC just checked and it is good!
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is some more information. It is part of a thing I have been working on. I gathered much of this from a FSM and then tried to turn it into English.....sort of.

IGNITION SWITCH
Circuit A1 from fuse 4 in the POWER DISTRIBUTION C ENTER (PDC) supplies battery voltage to the ignition switch. Depending upon position, the ignition switch powers circuits A21, A22, A31, & A41.

START POSITION
In the START position, the ignition switch connects circuit A1 to A41.
• Circuit A41 connects to the coil side of the starter motor relay.
• The other (coil) side of this relay is a ground supplied by the NSS switch in the automatic transmission. For a standard shift, a ground wire on the dipstick tube hold down bolt supplies that needed ground.
• One the other side of this relay is the power from the 40 AMP fuse in the PDC that when A1 connects to A41 the relay closes, IF it has ground. Then battery voltage goes to the starter motor solenoid. That is the power for your starter motor solenoid. The start itself should always have power from the battery + battery cable.
START OR RUN POSITION
In the Start or RUN position the ignitions switch also connects circuit A1 with circuit A21.
• The A21 circuit connects to fuses 5 & 9 in the fuse block.
• Fuse 9 powers circuit G5.
• Fuse 5 powers circuit G50 which supplies power to the coil side of the Automatic Shut Down (ASD) relay.
• Circuit G5 powers the buzzer module.
• Circuit G5 also splices to power the daytime running lamps module if it is a Canadian model, the AC compressor clutch relay, the heated rear window relay, and the gauges and indicator lamps in the instrument cluster.

Unread 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I didn't mention this already. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Pull the starter relay in the PDC. Jump slots 30 to slot 87 with a hunk of wire. Does it start?

Unread 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I edited post #19

Unread 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
ayj4u2c

Jumping the wire from 30 to 87 does not start it. I have a new solenoid for the starter coming tomorrow because NAPA told me it was bad when they tested it. I'm nt so much worried about it not starting as much as I am about why my fuel pump no longer has power going to it.
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
ayj4u2c

And Thank you so much for all your help, your knowledge is great and are a good teacher. I've learned a lot already.
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

One more thing. Check fuse #5 in the fuse box. It is for the ASD relay. If the ASD relay gets no power neither does the fuel pump relay.

Unread 04-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
ayj4u2c

Fuse #5 checks out ok
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayj4u2c View Post
Jumping the wire from 30 to 87 does not start it. I have a new solenoid for the starter coming tomorrow because NAPA told me it was bad when they tested it. I'm nt so much worried about it not starting as much as I am about why my fuel pump no longer has power going to it.
Maybe it is the starter solenoid. You have jumped power from the starter motor lug to the starter solenoid and got no response. If there is good voltage t the starter motor lug then the solenoid is the most likely culprit.

Stick in in and let me know how you make out.

Unread 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #29
ayj4u2c

Will do.
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #30
ayj4u2c

So I haven't gotten the solenoid yet, but I've got to thinking about what I did to the jeep in between the time it started and then didn't start. Is it possible I fried my PCM by doing a bunch of welding on the jeep without disconnecting the battery first?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.