Please help, 95 YJ wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Please help, 95 YJ wont start

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
ayj4u2c

Please help, 95 YJ wont start

So a little back story. The PO of my 95 YJ 6cyl 5 speed had a fuel cell installed in the "bed" of the jeep. I have since replaced with stock tank and sending unit. After doing the switch I made sure to start it up and make sure everything was working properly and it was. Fast forward one month, jeep had been sitting in my garage waiting for me to get some leafs under it so it was just sitting there on jack stands. Today I went to start it and my battery was dead, oh well it has been sitting, so new battery in and it will not start. It will not crank, and my fuel pump has no power to it. I thought maybe grounds were messed up cause all my relays were good and my fuel gauge was pegged at full and I only have about 3 gallons in there. I replaced all battery cables to get that problem out of the way and still nothing. I am now thinking ECM but want to get some opinions before I go and make that purchase.

ayj4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical problem at the tank? Bad ground or connection? Blown fuel pump fuse?
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
ayj4u2c

Checked all wires to the tank and they seem fine. I redid all the grounds in the engine bay, any more I need to check? And all fuses are good
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It is up on jack stands? Are the axles on the ground under the YJ? Put one jumper cable from the chassis to the rear axle on the ground and see what happens then when you try to start it.
Years ago I ha a Ford Ranchero that would not start when the tires were 1" off the ground on a body lift. We dicked with it for two hours. Finally we dropped it back down on it's four tires. Tried to fire it up one more time and BAM The damn thing fired up! Lift it back up until the tries were off the ground and it wouldn't fire yet again. We added a second body to engine strap. Fords did have ground issues FWIW.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
ayj4u2c

It is on it's tires on the ground. I did the jumper cable from - battery to frame and still nothing.
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayj4u2c View Post
So a little back story. The PO of my 95 YJ 6cyl 5 speed had a fuel cell installed in the "bed" of the jeep. I have since replaced with stock tank and sending unit. After doing the switch I made sure to start it up and make sure everything was working properly and it was. Fast forward one month, jeep had been sitting in my garage waiting for me to get some leafs under it so it was just sitting there on jack stands. Today I went to start it and my battery was dead, oh well it has been sitting, so new battery in and it will not start. It will not crank, and my fuel pump has no power to it. I thought maybe grounds were messed up cause all my relays were good and my fuel gauge was pegged at full and I only have about 3 gallons in there. I replaced all battery cables to get that problem out of the way and still nothing. I am now thinking ECM but want to get some opinions before I go and make that purchase.
DO NOT throw any more parts at this YJ. It is expensive and usually gets you deeper in trouble.

So, it fired up and ran one month ago. Now it won't crank at all? Check the ground wire on the dipstick tube bolt. If it is loose you get NADA out of the starter. That is the NSS circuit for the starter relay on a stick tranny.

Next test. Pull the starter relay in the PDC under the hood. Place ignition switch on the ON position. Use a jumper wire to jump socket 30 to socket 87. If it fires up then it is possible that the starter relay is NG or there is a problem in that ground circuit I just mentioned.

Dinnertime!!!

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
ayj4u2c

No need to yell at me! Hahahaha alright I will do those tests and get back to you on the outcome. Thank you for all your help!
Unread 04-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
ayj4u2c

So I did those and still nothing.
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not hollering just emphasizing.....

Lightly tap the solenoid on the starter then try to start it up.

If you ran voltage right to the starter and it won't fire then the problem is on the starter.

If you turned your ignition to the ON position and then shorted a screw driver from the big lug on the starter to the solenoid lug and it did nothing AND there [U]is full battery voltage[U] at the big lug of the starter then the starter/solenoid has to be the problem.

Unread 04-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
ayj4u2c

Alright I will pick up a starter or at least get this one tested. So getting it to crank by going from the big lug on solenoid to little lug still could be the solenoid. Correct? Also why would I not have power to my fuel pump? Could the starter be causing that? Does not make sense to me but not much does on this thing hahaha!
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright I will pick up a starter or at least get this one tested. So getting it to crank by going from the big lug on solenoid to little lug still could be the solenoid. Correct? Also why would I not have power to my fuel pump? Could the starter be causing that? Does not make sense to me but not much does on this thing hahaha!
If you jump battery voltage from the big lug at the starter to the solenoid lug and it fires up then the wiring to the solenoid or something else in that circuit is your problem.

Unread 04-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
ayj4u2c

Alright thank you. Does that circuit have anything to do with the fuel pump
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright thank you. Does that circuit have anything to do with the fuel pump
IIRC the fuel pump relay gets its power from the ASD relay which get a signal from the ECM which gets a signal from the crank position sensor when and if it detects movement in the flywheel.

But you are saying that the starter does nothing. It is separate from all that other 'stuff.'

Unread 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
ayj4u2c

Well I am at a complete loss. I am about ready to give up and sell it to make it someone else problem. No matter what I have tried I still have no power to my fuel pump

I have replaced all relays. I have redone all my grounds at the motor and fire wall, I have a new battery, I have run all new battery cables and still nothing. My fuel level gauge is still pegged at zero. The only thing I have not yet changed is the ECM and the ignition switch. Please help
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
ayj4u2c

I also just checked and I have good ground at the fuel pump connector

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.