Play in my driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Play in my driveshaft

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
spreble21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Play in my driveshaft

I am hearing what sounds like bearing noise from my front diff. my driveshaft doesn't have up-down, side-side play; instead I can spin my shaft about a quarter inch before tension, all u-joints good, just replaced bearings inner and outer. yoke nut is tight. and I already checked with the driveshaft dropped the yoke and pinion are spinning together so the play isn't in their spline. haven't opened the diff cover yet I intend to tomorrow. I put it on a snowbank to look at it and the stretch it put on the driveline seemed to stop the play. It has a 4 inch. suspension lift with pro-comp control arms and my bushings are bad.(procrastinating the replacement) also just had the driveshaft cv joint rebuilt and balanced.

question #1: should I have play in this way?

question#2: if not does it sound like it's my spider gears or ring and pinion?

question#3: could my bad bushings be trashing my driveline?

sorry it's a lot to read

spreble21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

First, you need to fill out your profile so we know what we're dealing with here. Second, that much rotational freedom in a driveshaft is perfectly normal. Its the gear backlash. If you have a problem it is something else. Have you pulled the driveshaft and driven to see if the noise goes away? Opening the diff and taking a look is never a bad thing either.
Unread 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
spreble21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

took a look in the diff. all looked well, checked the back of the shaft at the t-case, the bolts holding the ujoint there were loose. thank you for your help. i'll be updating my profile to help future threads, thank you
spreble21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.