Pcv valve and tailpipe smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Pcv valve and tailpipe smoke

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-23-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
Blk2kTj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pcv valve and tailpipe smoke

I am curious as to if a never changed PCV valve (2000 4.0 tj) can cause these things to ingest a little oil. I noticed after blipping the throttle a few times to 4K rpm (no load, wide open, full closed, wide open, full closed.. ) that i get a light amount of burned castrol gtx in the air. This alone dosent bother me, but I wonder if its possible that a 111K mile old PVC valve could be putting a little oil in the intake under very high vacuum.

I havent taken the valve out yet, my air filter and intake hose tube seem to be pretty clean, but the throttle body and inside of the intake is blackened with something that looks like soot, but the soot is dry, and the intake dosent seem to be wet fouled per se.

Im a firm believer that anythings possible, and if a bad PCV valve will vent some oil into the intake only under certain high vacuum conditions that perhaps that oil is completely sucked through and the intake dried out after the engine is shut off and cools down- hence leaving the dry soot inside.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or has any ideas. I never replaced my PCV valves or leaky valve cover grommets because I thought that PCV valves were a part of maintenance that could be neglected and a little oil on the valve cover dosent bother me. Apparently though through my readings online youre supposed to replace the valve itself every 15k?

anyone with similar experiences or recommendations?

Ben

Blk2kTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
75SV1

The 4.0 used a CCV system. Check you air filter to see if oil is getting in there. The rear tube has a metered port. You just need to stick a paper clip up in there to clean out any build up. The valve cover gasket can affect the system. If it leaks more air gets in than the system can handle. The newer engines don't seem to have this problem as the rubber valve cover gasket does a good job.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Blk2kTj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oil in breather tube

well I pulled out the rear breather tube and metal fitting in the manifold, and it dripped a little oil out. The entire tube and rear metering device in the valve cover was completely wet.

I guess thats where the little bit of burning oil is comming from. But now Im interested in replacing the metering device in the rear valve cover hole as well as both of the grommets. However, I wonder if replacing the rear metering device will stop oil from comming up into it. It seems like the device is nothing more that a plastic disk with a small hole in it. If there is no system in the metering device to stop oil from getting sucked into it then I suppose theres no reason to replace it.

thanks for the reply

Ben
Blk2kTj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.