Park problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Park problems

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Ricke92cj

Park problems

I have a 97 with the auto tranny and have intermittent problems with it not wanting to shift out of park. It doesn't always seem to engage to park paw and after rolling it backwards or forwards til it clicks, it then will shift out just fine. Is there another adjustment inside the tranny to fix this without tearing it all apart?

Ricke92cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Ricke92cj

Nothing?
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

From Joe Peters and well stated. Sounds harsh but just makes sense:

“Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle”.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Ricke92cj

It's a 1997 Jeep Wrangler "TJ" with the 4.0 liter and the automatic tranny.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

There isnt an adjustment in the trans but something could be loose or bent in there. Have you tried adjusting the shift cable yet? If the shift cable is not adjusted properly it could cause a problem going in/out of park and I would also suspect a possible problem with starting in park too.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Ricke92cj

I've adjusted the cable a couple of times thinking that maybe I wasn't getting it right. I haven't yet had any problems starting or getting the key out when in park. I'm also thinking about changing the cable because the guy before me had the tranny rebuilt and I'm wondering if the cable got stretched.
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Ricke92cj

I am suspicious on the rebuild though, because the fluid was quite dirty when I got it and the cooler lines where leaking from shoddy repair work.
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Ricke92cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54
From Joe Peters and well stated. Sounds harsh but just makes sense:

“Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle”.
Well I did what you asked, still nothing?
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricke92cj View Post
Well I did what you asked, still nothing?
My area of expertise does not cover your era of vehicle. As to why others have not responded, I cannot answer.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.