P0869 > no other codes. Help please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > P0869 > no other codes. Help please.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

P0869 > no other codes. Help please.

Hi everyone,

(long time reader / first time poster)
I picked up my first Jeep, a 2010 KK Limited Petrol, back in May, and I still say it's the best decision I've ever made...

I've been stumped with an error code that I can't find any info on.

P0869 > Transmission Fluid Pressure High.

Predictably, my warranty expired a month and a half ago.

I can't find any real info on this, all the forum posts I have come across usually say this is a side effect of another code and is false (like the relay stuck off) however I'm not getting any other codes, just this one alone.

As there is no trans dipstick, I can't check the levels. (next on my order list)
The only close comment I found is that if the pressure is low, it will wear the gears, too high and the pump will wear. That's it.

I rang the stealership, and they just gave the usual "we will need to look at it", and their nearest booking is a week away. I've booked anyway in case I can't get anywhere on my own.

This is the second time the code has popped up. The first time it popped up was right after I swerved to avoid an idiot BMW driver (Ironically I sold a BMW to get the Jeep...) and after I ran the cheap scanner at home, and spoke to the dealer, suspected it was just the fluid sloshing around from the weight shift, and found the code wasn't ongoing.

I cleared it and it didn't reappear for about 5 days. Now it's reappeared, (I kept the scanner in the car just in case) and it's saying it's persisting. Damn.

So for the moment my baby is sitting in the garage looking forlorn until I can work out what could be going on. Has anyone come across this at all?

Thx,
GD.

Gemdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
copmedic309
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to an autozone. There pretty reliable with being able to tell the difference between a generic part code and a dealer code. The dealer codes are like who wrote the book of morman, lol no one really knows. You gotta go to a dealer if they tell you it's one of their codes.
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

My handheld shows that it's a generic OBD-II code, not dealer specific. (It does both, but they come up differently)
Even then, I haven't managed to pull any useful info out of Google for any make of car on this code either.

(We don't have Autozone here in Australia, and similar places around here charge $85 to read codes, so you're in front after the 3rd time if you just buy a $200 scanner yourself.)
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
copmedic309
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well just keep in mind, the line pressure sensor sends it's message in 5v current to the PCM. It may be a bad sensor. All you can really do is have your transmission lines pressure tested, it sucks but that's all I know. Good luck

Ry
Better tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks for your help Ry, fingers crossed that it's just a bad wire or sensor somewhere.
I'll succumb to the dealer and let them run their barrage of tests.
(and hope that it doesn't destroy my wallet in the aftermath.)
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Just an update,
Spent the day at the dealers, they pulled out and checked all the wiring, checked, cleared the ECU, road tested, no fault found.
Drove it back to work. All good, drove home, BA-BOW! Trans Pressure Fluid High.

So the next step, according to them, New Transducer and Variable Solenoid, which also means full Trans Service to do as well.
Being on the other side of the world, could be up to 4 weeks to get the parts out of the US. :-(

(I did have a giggle when they accused me of drag racing it... Nope, I've got another toy for that anyway...)

Time to wait and see I guess...
Unread 01-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Another update to the ongoing saga... Dealership fun.
4 week wait for the parts. Car spent the time in the garage, immobile.
After having the Valves and solenoids done in the transmission car was reassembled and I got the call saying it was all back together. $1k later.
Went and picked it up, seemed to be okay, but was a bit weak in the shifts. an hour down the road it was apparent that it wasn't back to normal, there's an odd noise during the 2nd-3rd upshift.
Mind you, this was xmas eve...

Drag it back down there once they are back open after the holidays, and take the mechanic for a ride, he agreed that it didn't sound like it should.
Next available booking is 3 weeks away... Express my displeasure, but accept it and spend the next few weeks minimizing the driving.
They spend two days crawling over it before they come back at me saying now it has a low pressure reading. (on the tools, not the ecu).
The kicker is that their recommendation is now for a full rebuild, which they can't do in house, it has to be outsourced, at a rough estimate of $4k, on top of the $1k I've already put into it.
I politely told them no thanks, here's your rental back, I'm not paying for the last two days. They quietly agree and I drive off in it.

After a bit of Googling, it looks like the rebuild kit is around the $500 mark, now I'm not about to try and do it myself, but $3500 of labour sounds a little high to me...

Anyone know what a replacement 42rle would run for?
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
chuckp7860

I have this same code and did access it with my OTC Genysis, which is slightly outdated so on these cars I have to access them by the Global OBD II selection, and it is under warranty and just had a complete rebuild. I will be taking it to the dealership to have it looked at again but since this first one occurred, 2 more have surfaced. P1745 which is Manufactured Controlled Trans. which I assume is a generic and P0740 which is Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit open. It has stopped shifting. Not sure if what is found will shed any light on the first code but I will comment after they get it fixed this time. They broke the outer connector to the trans, when they did the rebuild which I assume was the mechanic not cleaning the connector release tab and putting a screw driver to it to help pry it off and popped the out side section that I wonder if they will try and blame that but the connector is still good and the inner weather seal is still in place.
chuckp7860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdog View Post

After a bit of Googling, it looks like the rebuild kit is around the $500 mark, now I'm not about to try and do it myself, but $3500 of labour sounds a little high to me...

Anyone know what a replacement 42rle would run for?
My bad for not reading the entire post, but this jumped out at me.

FWIW, I just had my 42RLE rebuilt, including a new TC and installation of a Transgo shift kit. Cost me $2200 with everything.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMtnJeep View Post
FWIW, I just had my 42RLE rebuilt, including a new TC and installation of a Transgo shift kit. Cost me $2200 with everything.
Thanks for the info. The downside of living in Aus means that every mechanic considers most cars an Import, and you can see the $$$ spin in their eyes...

I haven't actually got around to resolving it yet. I've got a somewhat short drive to work, and carpool every 2nd week, so it's not doing a lot of distance at the moment. I've noticed it only stutters if it's shifting to 3rd under power, if I lift off slightly when it comes to the shift it's nice and happy about it. Will have to do something soon, as I'm itching to get out in the forest for a weekend.

How do you find the Transgo? If I'm getting it torn down, I may as well make it worth it.
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
chuckp7860

Torque Convertor Failure

I posted earlier about my experience with this code after a complete transmission rebuild. I first had a complete failure of the transmission and then after about a month I had this code appear first then torque convertor failure along with I believe a generic electrical all though it may not have. I found out the torque convertor had failed again and that was probably the reason of or maybe even the problem of the convertor failure. They are replacing the convertor and the solenoid that I believe works the convertor. Not a 100% sure on the code but it is something internal.
chuckp7860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdog View Post

How do you find the Transgo? If I'm getting it torn down, I may as well make it worth it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/TRANSGO-A604-4...-/290463541003

You should go to Transgo's web site and verify that this fits your application. They have all the info about it there, too.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
42rle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.