Original cj drivetrain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Original cj drivetrain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
buckspacj

Original cj drivetrain

I'm gonna buy a cj soon not sure what year.
80% on 20% off road
Want the 304 engine
What auto tranny option did 304 come with over years ? If I have to settle for 3 speed manual tranny will it do 65 on highways sitting on 38"s? I guess I'm asking what tranny options do I have for 304 in auto or manual for my needs? Thanks needs9

buckspacj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
DaemonForce

I know that between the 258 and 304 the transmission options typically interchange for manual gearboxes. As for autos, the Chrysler A-904 and A-998 were not an option behind V block engines but they might have been in much earlier designs of my car. Not sure if there was an issue that carried over with the Jeeps too. I think the A-727 and A-999 were okay but I don't know about that last one since the ID sounds pretty strong considering the mess of things at that time. You'll typically see 4 and 5 speed manual gear boxes of the Borg Warner variety but I think Aisin Warner took over during the 4.0L period.

You might be able to use an AX-15 if you ever find one. If you find an SR-4, junk. Other than that, I think you should be able to keep axles and push 65 on the freeway pretty easy. If you're concerned about overdrive I would suggest swapping out differential gears for something higher or only using 5 speed manual transmissions. You're just not going to find a 4 speed auto for this thing without a lot of work. It might still exist in some Dodge with the A-512 or 42RH tag or something like that but I'm part of the group that doesn't consider the 700R4 an option and I don't know anything about the TH400 to help with those either.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
paveland
1986 CJ7 

Th400 was a stock option, I think it was usually paired with the full time quadratrac transfer case.
paveland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
will it do 65 on highways sitting on 38"s?
I would become an expert on driveline geometry and steering upgrades before I contemplated purchasing a CJ with 38" tires.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.