OK so I acquired and 2WD F-150... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > OK so I acquired and 2WD F-150...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
deliriousnomad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OK so I acquired and 2WD F-150...

302 with an auto... how much of this is could/should I swap into my 2.5L YJ? is there a transfer that will mate with that tranny?

is that 9" OK? how much does it need to be narrowed? is it worth it?

just the generalities please... I only paid $750 for the truck.

it could make a great donor... or I'm just going to dump it as the truck itself needs a bunch of work

Unread 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
CJGraphicks
2000 WJ 

Don't get me wrong YJ's are badass, but they were never built to handle small block v8's. You could do it if you had a ford tranny & T case, but you'd probably need new dif's and for sure custom drive shafts. Go junkyard diving for an Explorer or F150 with that stuff. Custom engine mounts and Cross members means you'll have to fire up that welder or farm that out.

On top of that, I'd look to reinforcing your chassis/unibody or else you're doors will open and close a little worse every time you drive it from the engine torquing the whole car.

You'd also be looking at figuring out your own wiring, fuel delivery and computer.

All said and done, it sounds like a hell of a project, and that's a YJ I'd like to buy.
CJGraphicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Unibody? On a YJ?
Reinforce a box frame? Oh dear.
Do some reading before posting up very inaccurate advise please?
Sheesh...
OP, that is a perfectly doable swap. The 302 is a compact V8, so lends itself well to swaps etc. Power is also pretty easy to get, so no issues there either.
You can make or buy motor mounts, very easy to make.
I always try to use the tranny and transfer case that comes with the donor engines. Lot cheaper that way. Problem is with a Ford swap, the transfer cases are a little big, so a 231 swap would be a good deal there.
I made an adapter for a LSx into a Range Rover, using the Range Rover tranny etc. Looks like this (4L60E bellhousing to a ZF4HP24 tranny)
adapter-resize.jpg
Not hard to make, bandsaw, drill press, sharpie and tape measure is all that was used
Also made my own motor mounts, using the Rover frame parts and adapting to the LSx plates etc.
Here is some light reading from a very good source
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...p_yj_87-95.htm
You can use some 9" axles, but some are better than others, so research that one.
A Ford 8.8 from a late 90's (IIRC) Explorer will handle it no problem, and a HP30 can be built to handle comm on sense driving with a 302. Driveshafts will be custom anyways, but 1310 u joints will handle it if needed.
There are also threads in the YJ tech section for this very swap.
I say do it, and keep us posted.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGraphicks View Post
...On top of that, I'd look to reinforcing your chassis/unibody or else you're doors will open and close a little worse every time you drive it from the engine torquing the whole car...
Really? Have you looked at the frame and tub on a YJ lately? The frame seems pretty stout to me. If memory serves me correctly, some CJs were available with a 304 V8 engine. The YJ frame is an improvement over the CJ frame.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Really? Have you looked at the frame and tub on a YJ lately? The frame seems pretty stout to me. If memory serves me correctly, some CJs were available with a 304 V8 engine. The YJ frame is an improvement over the CJ frame.
He has obviously never even seen a YJ frame, never mind of late.
Little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.
Mind, totally clueless may qualify too.....

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
CJGraphicks
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
He has obviously never even seen a YJ frame, never mind of late.
Little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.
Mind, totally clueless may qualify too.....

Martin
Whoa guys, calm down. Yeah, no, I'm a unibody muscle car guy and I just bought a WJ and I'm trying to rack up posts. I checked wikipedia, and the YJ's never came from the factory with V8's. All I said was look into it. Should have checked my facts on what the YJ frames are actually good to handle, but it seemed to me the guy was just being asked to be pointed in the right direction so I didn't give it much mind. That aside, I gave the exact same advice. Thanks for calling me on it, and I'm glad you're all vigilant about bad info. Consider it withdrawn.
CJGraphicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.