oil spraying on motor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > oil spraying on motor.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
CATMman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oil spraying on motor.

I have a 1990 wrangler with a 4.2 motor and a 4.0 head conversion. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago as a project and I'm already at a stand still. I already had the carb rebuilt and replaced the pcv as well as the egr valve since It had oil in the air filter and tray on the carb. But I am still getting oil filling up in the air filter and tray and it is spraying on the motor and exhaust. Any help.....thanks

CATMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Never seen a 1990 but If you have a breather, mine is on the lifter cover, that happens when it is clogged up.
gunner44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
CATMman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if this helps any... But about 10 min running and this is what I got... It then starts spilling and spraying. I put a small rag in my egr valve to catch the oil. Is that a good idea or is it going to hurt me in the long run.

forumrunner_20120513_212218.jpg

forumrunner_20120513_212242.jpg

forumrunner_20120513_212312.jpg
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Something to check out:

Cruiser’s Valve Cover Mod

Most early and even later Renix 4.0s could be bothered by excessive oil in the air cleaner box. A fix from my old days as Service Manager at a Jeep dealership follows. Information was provided to me from a buddy at JeepTech during those days. I don’t believe it ever came out in a Technical Service Bulletin.

Remove the valve cover and turn it over. Next, remove the fluted tubes that are now facing you by removing three screws on each. Chop 1 inch off each of them. Then, about a half inch up from the area where you just sawed them off, drill a half inch hole in the tubes so the holes will face the rear of the valve cover. Clean and de-burr/sand all rough edges nicely, clean with solvent, and reinstall. Don’t be concerned about the chintzy gaskets that will probably crumble into oblivion when you remove the fluted tubes. They can go back together without gaskets.
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

The hose from the crank case breather goes to the air filter, inlet side so it is clean air. In your case it is right into the carb. This only happened to me once but I went to a clear tube so I could see the oil if it ever happened again. That is a new crank filter, looks just like mine. so that is not the problem. If that rag is blocking it air is not going in properly, that is a (bad) thing. What I remember reading also is that filter is designed so if there is a backfire, there is not be a engine fire.

Checking it can be done by pulling the crank filter and holding a thin peace of paper over the hole of the cover, The vacuum should want to draw it in. (Hold onto it) . Pull the pipe off the PCV valve, should feel a good suction on the outlet of the PCV, It also looks new but check it. valve might not be seating. Put the pipe back on and pull it from the engine, finger over the end of pipe. clean the hole going into the cover. If I keep my finger over any of the above the engine dies. If that is OK Next I would pull and clean the cover, special attention to under the fins on the top.

Google crank case filter, pcv valve. some interesting reading. Older cars just dumped the oil filled air out the side of the engine rather then rebearning it.
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcv_valve
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
CATMman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have good suction in my egr and pcv valves I checked them tonight. It seems like there is to much oil going thru my egr and is setting on that top tray ( kind of looks like coffee with cream coming out...lol) and possibly spilling over. Would you recommend a catch can to catch the oil coming up thru the hose... I have been looking for them online but can find to many of them... Any advice
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think you're confused about EGR valves. That's between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold.
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
CATMman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What is the filter in the back (pic of motor) carb engines are a new thing to me... The jeep was just a good price but I didn't know what I was getting myself into... Where is the egr then... Could that be my problem.
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMman View Post
What is the filter in the back (pic of motor) carb engines are a new thing to me... The jeep was just a good price but I didn't know what I was getting myself into... Where is the egr then... Could that be my problem.
That fitting isn't stock. The EGR valve is located on the intake manifold where it meets the exhaust manifold.
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

This is interesting problem. To start, the EGR has nothing to do with it as cruiser54 indicated. If you look this up some reading will say it is the same as the PCV valve, but without the metering valve on six cylinder engines. If you go someplace else, it is the Crankcase Breather/Filter. My Factory Manual has nothing on it I can find. My Hanynes book shows a drawing how the system works on a eight cylinder engine and shows that filter is where the air for the crankcase ventilation system is coming from, then exhausted through the PVC valve. The PVC shuts off when the intake manifold vacuum is the highest.

Now with all this said how does oil start getting pushed out that filter that air needs to get sucked in. What I do see in the manual is a check list of possible problems. One of them being to mush blow by. The other thing is I have never taken my covers off. There may be a roughting, by baffles or whatever, on the top of the cover of a 6 cylinder, My eight has the PVC mounted on the right valve cover and the crankcase vent on the left valve cover. One thing is for sure, raw oil in not apposed to be coming from it. This may be what criser54 in his "Something to check out:" post was talking about

If it was me first I would change the filter, whether it looked new or I got it last week. If that doesn't fix it I would do a compression check.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I'm thinking the valve cover with the long interior flutes is not intended for a PCV system. Heck, they had to change the design early on because the CCV system sucked oil into the air cleaner. Someone along the line has messed with this.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
CATMman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess that rear filter is called pcv filter... I have been doing a ton of research and i found something similar ( http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/3gooy...l-leaking.html ) to where my pistions are clogged so basically it calls for a engine rebuild... I have already put almost 1k in a month... I have to see what my mechanic says and probably go from there... Thanks for all of yall's help with this problem.
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Another thing to consider is what did that valve cover come off of? Most if not all 4.0's had a CCV/orifice at the back of the cover and the fresh air inlet at the front which is backward from what you have in the picture. If that valve cover is from a 4.0 it could be something simple like swapping the PCV valve and hose with the crackcase breather and hose. Maybe the baffles are in wrong spots for your setup.

You either have a problem with PCV flow and baffles, a baffle could be missing or clogged too. Only other thing could be excessive blow-by, maybe check for blow-by and do a compression test.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Another thing to consider is what did that valve cover come off of? Most if not all 4.0's had a CCV/orifice at the back of the cover and the fresh air inlet at the front which is backward from what you have in the picture. If that valve cover is from a 4.0 it could be something simple like swapping the PCV valve and hose with the crackcase breather and hose. Maybe the baffles are in wrong spots for your setup.

You either have a problem with PCV flow and baffles, a baffle could be missing or clogged too. Only other thing could be excessive blow-by, maybe check for blow-by and do a compression test.
Correct. You need a PCV system for your 4.2. Perhaps acquiring an aluminum valve cover from a late 4.2 would be a good idea? Then plumb the PVC systema s it was designed to work. I'm not sure the CCV system will work on a 4.2.

I'm almost positive the 4.2 valve covers did not have the deep-reaching flutes that the 4.0 had.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.