Oil pressure switch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil pressure switch question

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #1
CJ8DV8

Oil pressure switch question

Hey gang! Here's post #1:

Here's something that's been bugging me.
On the passenger side of my motor there's a T in the block with the oil pressure sending unit (for the dash gauge) and what looks like a pressure switch for an idiot light.

Here's the puzzling part: I don't ever recall seeing and oil pressure idiot light on my dash. To top it off, my local Jeep dealer found a need to run a hot lead from the fuse block to one side of this switch (bypassing the factory harness). I checked the cut wire and it had 12vdc. Why it was bypassed is another mystery.

Anyway, what is this switch for? If it is for an idiot light, perhaps it should be pointing to the one behind the steering wheel!

Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ8DV8:
Hey gang! Here's post #1:

Here's something that's been bugging me.
On the passenger side of my motor there's a T in the block with the oil pressure sending unit (for the dash gauge) and what looks like a pressure switch for an idiot light.

Here's the puzzling part: I don't ever recall seeing and oil pressure idiot light on my dash. To top it off, my local Jeep dealer found a need to run a hot lead from the fuse block to one side of this switch (bypassing the factory harness). I checked the cut wire and it had 12vdc. Why it was bypassed is another mystery.

Anyway, what is this switch for? If it is for an idiot light, perhaps it should be pointing to the one behind the steering wheel!
I never found a use for this extra sending unit on my 79 CJ7 either. I just removed it and all is well.
Unread 03-19-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Just a thought, I lost an engine about 15 years ago after the line to the mechanical gauge broke(it's hard to see the gauge when you are trying to miss a tree on an ugly hill climb) .Didn't notice it until the lifters started clattering. Ever since then, I run an idiot light as well as the gauge.They are a snap to install and and when they light up you notice them!
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 10:20 AM   #4
jeepcherokeev6

Quote:
Here's the puzzling part: I don't ever recall seeing and oil pressure idiot light on my dash.

cj8dv8, im not sure about your jeep, but on my xj, the idiot lights arent very visible when that arent lit. i mean, you can not tell what they are, until their lit up.

just a thought

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2002, 12:59 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I have an early CJ and the light is in the instrument cluster. It's fairly small but is a lot more noticable then a needle on "0". If you don't like the one you have then you can put your own light(as big as you want)anywhere on the dash that's easy to see.Get an isolated light(one that needs a 2nd wire to be grounded) from your local parts/RV house.run a wire from the switch through the light to the coil side of your ignition switch and it's done!
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2002, 04:02 PM   #6
CJ8DV8

Thanks Guys- I found some gauge troubleshooting instructions on a website that mentioned the mysterious switch... Seems that everyone's right. It said that in some gauge clusters that the switch is for an idiot light and in other applications it tells the computer that the oil pressure has reached 4 psi.

I'll take a closer look at my gauge cluster and if I don't see a light I'll assume it's for the computer.

Anyway, I figure it belongs there one way or the other. Thanks again.
Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.