Oil Pressure on New Rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil Pressure on New Rebuild

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oil pressure is actually a measure of oil resistance. It is largely determined by clearances not flow. You have proved that point again.

Engine builders that know what they are doing make clearances a major priority. They plastigage every bearing journal twice. Once and then once more after spinning the crank a quarter turn.

Theoretically if you could close the oil system at say 40PSI, and keep the oil cool you would not need the oil pump. It is used to move the oil to the rad to be cooled only.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Theoretically if you could close the oil system at say 40PSI, and keep the oil cool you would not need the oil pump. It is used to move the oil to the rad to be cooled only.
????????????
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post
????????????
DO you have a problem with that statement? Why?
Oil lubricates forever if unchanged by heat or contaminates, correct?

Why move the oil if it doesn't need to be cooled/cleaned?

As long as it exists it lubricates doesn't it?

The only issue in reality is that you want to clean the oil occasionally, combustion being one item that does contaminate the oil. Wearing down of metallic parts also adds to that contamination since an engine is not, in reality, a perfect machine.

Theoretically if lubrication is perfect there is always a layer oil between all the moving parts.

My point was to stress the importance of correct clearances over the importance of very high oil pressure/flow.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
DO you have a problem with that statement? Why?
Oil lubricates forever if unchanged by heat or contaminates, correct?

Why move the oil if it doesn't need to be cooled/cleaned?

As long as it exists it lubricates doesn't it?

The only issue in reality is that you want to clean the oil occasionally, combustion being one item that does contaminate the oil. Wearing down of metallic parts also adds to that contamination since an engine is not, in reality, a perfect machine.

Theoretically if lubrication is perfect there is always a layer oil between all the moving parts.

My point was to stress the importance of correct clearances over the importance of very high oil pressure/flow.
What do you mean, "It is used to move the oil to the rad to be cooled only."
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Perfectly normal for a 4.0 even fresh motor. I build strokers out of my 4.0's. And the pressure is the same. Sounds Like you did a perfect job.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you mean, "It is used to move the oil to the rad to be cooled only."
I meant base pan, unless he had an oil cooler.

When you are done critiquing my attempt to help the OP how about you jump in here and offer some constructive advice of your own.

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:

When you are done critiquing my attempt to help the OP how about you jump in here and offer some constructive advice of your own.
I have. Post#14. Sorry u perceived it as critiquing, I was just asking for clarification. Your statement was confusing,glad you cleared it up.
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:

I'm sorry, but your description is baffling to me too....
The oil pumps main purpose is to continuously replace the oil lost between bearing surfaces. since modern engines run on the "constant loss" principle, oil is constantly being forced out of the mating surfaces by various pressures. The pumps job is to constantly push more oil into the cavities, maintaining a continuous film of lubricant. Since there is very little clearance between the various surfaces, the pump will build pressure behind the main/rod bearings, cam, lifters and rockers. A relief valve controls the amount of pressure the pump maintains. Most oil pumps are relieved at around 40LBS (although this can vary). When the oil pressure goes down, this is usually a sign of wear (excessive clearance) in the system, most likely in the rod/main/cam bearings. A sign of this is the pressure varying with engine speed. this is because as the pump picks up speed, it is able to move more oil into the galley's, overcoming the excessive "leakage" in the system.

Many folks confuse pressure with volume when talking about modified pumps. High pressures do very little for you system, other than stress the cam gear. High volume, however is desirable (at least in my opinion), especially in slow speed, technical off road situations, where engine RPM's may be too low to adequately maintain pressure due to the pump's low rotational speed.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I'm sorry, but your description is baffling to me too....
The oil pumps main purpose is to continuously replace the oil lost between bearing surfaces. since modern engines run on the "constant loss" principle, oil is constantly being forced out of the mating surfaces by various pressures. The pumps job is to constantly push more oil into the cavities, maintaining a continuous film of lubricant. Since there is very little clearance between the various surfaces, the pump will build pressure behind the main/rod bearings, cam, lifters and rockers. A relief valve controls the amount of pressure the pump maintains. Most oil pumps are relieved at around 40LBS (although this can vary). When the oil pressure goes down, this is usually a sign of wear (excessive clearance) in the system, most likely in the rod/main/cam bearings. A sign of this is the pressure varying with engine speed. this is because as the pump picks up speed, it is able to move more oil into the galley's, overcoming the excessive "leakage" in the system.

Many folks confuse pressure with volume when talking about modified pumps. High pressures do very little for you system, other than stress the cam gear. High volume, however is desirable (at least in my opinion), especially in slow speed, technical off road situations, where engine RPM's may be too low to adequately maintain pressure due to the pump's low rotational speed.
I am well aware of how the oil system works in an internal combustion engine. Oil doesn't get 'lost', it gets circulated because the system is designed to continuously pump the oil to through the system, kind of like the cooling system.

Theoretically (that term has been used already) the engine could stay lubed with a closed pressurized system if the oil could stay cool and clean enough. That is too expensive to implement and hurts the oil dudes too much also.
The oiling system on a car is rudimentary. Maintain certain clearances and keep pumping oil through it.

Ok back on topic if that is possible.

Unread 08-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #25
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

I guess my 2.5L is pretty healthy then.
18,000 miles
Melling high volume oil pump
Rotella T6 5w40
STP oil treatment

My oil pressure numbers are-
-Idle Cold - 71psi. (Cold = 30f)
-Run Cold - 78-90psi
---
-Idle Warm - 55-62psi (warm= 70-80f)
-Run Warm - 64-70psi
---
-Idle Hot - 40-43psi (hot = engine oper temp)
-Run Hot - 63-66psi)

Been that way since we rebuilt the motor. :-)
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
I guess my 2.5L is pretty healthy then.
18,000 miles
Melling high volume oil pump
Rotella T6 5w40
STP oil treatment

My oil pressure numbers are-
-Idle Cold - 71psi. (Cold = 30f)
-Run Cold - 78-90psi
---
-Idle Warm - 55-62psi (warm= 70-80f)
-Run Warm - 64-70psi
---
-Idle Hot - 40-43psi (hot = engine oper temp)
-Run Hot - 63-66psi)

Been that way since we rebuilt the motor. :-)
Why would you want that high of a pressure???? HV pump is overkill especially on a 2.5. All that does is take hp away from the drivetrain and puts stress on the cam. Its a psych thing.
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Why would you want that high of a pressure???? HV pump is overkill especially on a 2.5. All that does is take hp away from the drivetrain and puts stress on the cam. Its a psych thing.
Its a carbed motor. We bored and stroked it to 2.7L. Forged crank, rods and pistons. We just had some free time and went all out. HV pump was to make sure the motor was lubricated well due to the tight tolerances. (We were pushing 9.8:1 comp ratio)

When we threw it on the dyno it was 130-135hp and 172-185ft-lb torque.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I agree. It just makes you feel better. In the long run you'll be fixing seals and too many other important parts.
I do like what you did otherwise.
I build stroker's out of 4.0's. Never used or needed HIV pumps.
Save that stuff for dragsters
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Engine oil pressure has NOTHING to do with seal life.

4.0s did indeed use HV oil pumps in some applications for the military.

And what other important parts can be damaged by higher oil volume?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
And what other important parts can be damaged by higher oil volume?
The pump itself when it runs dry because most of the oil is being pumped to the top of the engine faster than it can drain back to the sump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.