Oil Pressure Maxed out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil Pressure Maxed out

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-07-2001, 01:48 PM   #1
cjfiver

Oil Pressure Maxed out

My oil pressure gauge suddenly jumped up and began reading from 60 to 80+ psi. I was wondering if this is a common problem on 258 CJ-5s.
I was told to check the pressure relief valve, but I can't seem to locate it.
Any ideas?

cjfiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2001, 05:26 PM   #2
hamyscj

Do you have the factory electrical gage or a manual gage? If elec. put in another sending unit. If manual, try a new oil filter first. Your pressure relief is inside the oil filter adapter assembly.
Unread 10-07-2001, 08:16 PM   #3
B2hi

Check the pressure relief valve. I believe it is on the actually pump itself. If you have used any type of sealant recently it could have broke off and found it'd way to the pump. Also check for leaks. A rise in pressure usually is first sign.
Throttle body spacer
K+N air filter

Con-ferr shackles,R.E. 4.5 lift with 33x12.5 BFG Muds and 1in. body
B2hi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2001, 09:03 PM   #4
evilpsych

i agree with hamy.. had the smae prob on my YJ.. replaced the oil pressure switch for the gauge on the engine block for liek $20.. dealer said they go sour all the time.. try that before you rebuild the engine..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.