Oil pressure gone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil pressure gone?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
97wranglerkc

Oil pressure gone?

I was driving the faithful jeep yesterday when i noticed the check gauges light appear, and the oil pressure dropped to nothing, so scared to death, i parked it. i then changed the oil, the filter and sending unit. then i changed the oil pump and still nothing. last i attached a manuel gauge to the oil tank and started the jeep. it held pressue for about 5 minutes then it slowly started to decrease until it was reading 0 pressure. i am confused i only have 58,000 miles on my jeep so i should not be having trouble like this , or should i? please help me or give me any suggestions as to what you would do besides rebuilding it. i dont understand why i would need to do this at 58k.....please help, anything will be helpful.....thanks in advance

mile marker PE 9,000lbs winch,2 10' xplods, pioneer
clear corners, diamond plate rockers,marine radio[/CENTER]
97wranglerkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
97wranglerkc

come on....... nobody? this isnt helpfull at all. thanks alot
Unread 03-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have oil in your coolant? When you replaced the oil pump, did you prime it? Is the cam in good shape? Is the oil pump full engaging with the cam/distributor?
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
TurboTJ

My buddy experienced simular problems with a 97. It turned out that there was a recall on his. The dealer replaced the fuel pump and it seemed it make the problem go away. This doesnt really make sense so i think they must have done something more. I would check with the dealer for recalls.
TurboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
de6w6it

Usually a complete loss of oil pressure is due to the main bearings or the rod bearings....so the only thing I can think of, after reading all of what you have done so far, is that you spun a bearing somehow..., check with the dealership on recals, or warranty, hopefully, because it is not a quick or easy thing to fix. It is not too expensive to buy new bearings if you do it yourself, but since one may have spun, it may require some machining on the crank, or block, and this can get expensive.
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Bonehead40

Jeep

You wiped the cam bearings! Water must have gotten into your crank case and wiped out your bearings. This will definitly ruin your engine. I have seen 7-8 of these in the last year. In every case, water damage. Did you buy your jeep used?
Bonehead40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
97wranglerkc

yes and i recently went through a mud hole and it died. could water have gotten in through the muffler and exhaust went i started it back up and drove out?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.