oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > oil pressure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2001, 03:59 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

oil pressure

what should the oil pressure be for a 6-cylinder tj at idle/cruising?

Unread 10-05-2001, 03:43 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

somebody has to look at there gauge occasionally........
Unread 10-12-2001, 01:48 AM   #3
evilpsych

Sh*t.. i was wondering the same thing.. i've got a YJ though.. has been reading between 55-62 on mine.. i havent done an oil change yet.. (only had it 3 days)

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 07:47 AM   #4
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, on my XJ (4.0L I-6) I can give you a rough estimate from memory. At operating temperature and on the highway, its at about 50. Idling drops it down under 40.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
mytjnamedrex

mine will drop to bout 25 at idle after it gets up to temp and at cruising it will be about 40 and at max itll hit 42. is it ok??? also just changed oil/filter
Unread 10-12-2001, 09:41 PM   #6
Willis91YJ

Well, my answer is humorous! My gauge is pegged! Yup thats right all the way to the right!!! Yeah the rings on piston 1 are shot so I am getting blowby that raises the crankcase pressure and a small amount of oil blows out the ccv in the top of the valve cover and into my k&n. Sounds great huh? I'll probably rebuild around christmas, before it gets too gummed up. Sorry for the digression. Just wanted to tell somebody
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2001, 10:58 AM   #7
evilpsych

Well.. I thought I had the oil pressure problem fixed.. thought maybe i was getting some blow-by.. so i used some motor flush, changed the oil out with mobil 1 drive clean blend 10w30 and Z-Maxed it.. so far i'm noticing a slight drop in what I feel is too high oil pressure.. called the dealer just now.. they said that it's more than likely that it's a bad oil pressure sensor.. they those tend to go bad and that the proper pressure is between 40-45 while running down the road.. i'll replace it and let you know how it comes out..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
Unread 10-16-2001, 11:08 AM   #8
evilpsych

heh.. $20.50 later.. the problem is SOLVED ladies.. so if you think your engine is running a little too high on the pressure side.. replace the oil pressure switch.. lot cheaper than willy's suggestion to rebuilding the block.. infact willy.. try replacing your sensor.. might save you the hassle of rebuilding an otherwise fine block..

Unread 10-16-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Willis91YJ

Thanks psych, I'll ches into it but I checked the compression and cylinder 1 is pretty low (70 psi) and it is supposed to be like 115 psi. But I probably need a pressure sensor also! Congrats I'm glad someones prob is solved.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.