Oil not draining back to engine fast enough - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil not draining back to engine fast enough

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements

Unread 12-09-2001, 07:24 PM   #1
Clarktsonhomeimprovement

Oil not draining back to engine fast enough

We are having a lot of oil pumped up over the head. Its not draining away as fast as it fills, the rocker arms are beating it silly and it is getting pumped out to the air cleaner via the crankcase vent line. I am not burning any oil visibly but I have a lot leaking onto the ground and being spit into the engine compartment. motor makes good power, compression is good, spark plug burn is great. We have an overflow bottle hooked up now and the oil going to it looks like a lithium grease. We are not losing any engine coolant either. It does look like it is contaminated with glycol but no loss.
We dont know what else to check HELP.
Thanks
Bob

Clarktsonhomeimprovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2001, 10:14 PM   #2
evilpsych

uhhhh
that's not good..
i highly suggest running a can of motor flush through the engine and changing the oil ASAP w/ 5w30 synthetic. is there oily film in the radiator fluid? sounds like you might have a very small crack in your block..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2001, 12:15 PM   #3
MuddyCJ5

My 2 cents worth, have you checked the PCV valve? sounds like you have to much pressure in the crank case. You could have a real dirty engine with plugged up drain holes. Try pulling the valve covers see that the drain holes are clear. If it is real gummed up be very carefull cleaning it. As long as the crud is stuck to the head and block it's ok(unless the drains are blocked off) But when you knock it loose and it ends up going thru the lubrication system it will cause BIG problems!
MuddyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
CJRUSTY

I have seen pluged up drain holes do this before. clean/flush and change your oil.
CJRUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2002, 02:47 PM   #5
CraigMBA

Quote:
Originally posted by CJRUSTY:
I have seen pluged up drain holes do this before. clean/flush and change your oil.
I have too, but I'd recomend not running a can of motor flush through an engine - unless you plan on rebuilding it soon.

Back in the dark ages, many oils were not 'high detergent' like most all of them are now. Engines would get really dirty inside as a result. Often, folks would accidentally put a quart of high detergent oil (Chevron Delo 400 comes to mind, designed to be high detergent for diesels) in an engine that only had ever had non detergent oil, only to wash all the crap loose and ruin the rod and main bearings in the next 30 minutes of use.

Rather than use engine flush, I'd suggest pulling the valve cover, and making sure the drainback passages arent' obstructed. You can clear them out with an awl, screwdriver, piece of coathanger, ect.

Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.