Oil Leak Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil Leak Help

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
ktx_jeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Leak Help

I have a little oil leak going on, its dripping inbetween the bell housing and the cover, I'm not expert yet, but does anyone have any idea what it might be or where to start? I can get a picture here in a bit if you need it.

ktx_jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Probably the rear main seal, fairly common problem. It could be leaking from higher up. Clean things off well and watch it. Check the valve cover. Folks sometimes spill oil on the side of the block when changing the filter. If it isn't cleaned off, it will run back and then down looking like the rear main is leaking.
Unread 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
ktx_jeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well, if its the rear main seal, wouldn't it be dripping alot when the Jeep is running? And when i feel around the back of the motor, my hand is covered in oil, I think it might be a head gasket. How hard is it to replace a rear main seal? Im a DIY guy. I just did the headers.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Make sure its not running down from the valve cover, or running down the side of the oil pan from the oil filter adapter. It could still be a rear main or oil pan gasket too. I highly doubt you have a head gasket leaking oil. A bright flash light a small inspection mirror might help, after you clean the area with brake clean to try find a leak.

I dont know you mech ability but rear main seals are not too bad to do, along with all the other problem areas I mentioned above. I would at least try to eliminate the easier things first before suspecting the rear main. There are a few good write-ups on all these oil leaks on this forum so search for those before you try to fix yours.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Joshinmaui

I had similar problem. Mine was oil filter adapter. Still cant get the damn thing off. The t60 bolt is on there!! Lots of good advice here though, like degrease and really watch for it man. Its tough to pin point oil leaks sometimes.
Joshinmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

My standard response:

A RMS done with the engine in the vehicle is not fun but doable. Fact of the matter is that many owners have their Jeep's oil leaks diagnosed by someone else who proclaims the RMS is leaking when it isn't.

Since our engines sit "nose-up" in the engine bay, any oil leak up above is gonna drip from the RMS area. Therefore the misdiagnoses.

You don't have to be a certified technician to diagnose the oil leak on your Jeep.

Start by looking at the valve cover, especially around the back side. Move on down to the oil pressure sending unit mounted above the oil filter. From there, inspect the oil filter adapter housing that the oil filter is screwed on to.

Repair them from top to bottom and you may find that the "RMS leak" is gone.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
ktx_jeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing that kinda makes me think twice is that it isn't leaking bad at all, but the leaking is coming from in between the bell housing and the thin metal plate that goes on the front of it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.