Oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil leak

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oil leak

I bought my 1994 yj about a month ago. When I bought I saw that it had an oil leak but the guy said he had just had it fixed. I got it home and sure enough the oil leak had not been fixed. I could not tell exactly where it was coming from. So cleaned engine and compartment with purple power and got it all cleaned up. Noticed it was leaking from the valve cover so pulled it off put on new gasket (from autozone felpro). Still leaked around valve cover so pulled it off and put some red rtv on it no leak after 2weeks from valve cover. But still have an oil leak only not as bad. I think it may either be coming from the oil pan or the timing chain cover. Both have oil on them.Some told me not to worry about it because that age always leaks but I hate oil on my driveway. So my question is should I replace both oil pan and timing chain cover gasket at the same time or one then the other. Oil pan looks easy to get to just remove starter but how hard is the timing chain cover to remove and change. I have the 2.5 L 4 speed.

odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Instead of making another post I figured I might as well ask another question... Should I have my soft top repaired cash is limited... Both back corners are ripped at the spot where you hook it into the body channels.
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Finding the actual leak might help you a little bit but if you are content with replacing both then go for it. Keep in mind, that with the pan off you might consider throwing a new oil pump on it too, at least check the pickup screen and clean if necessary. Also on the timing cover, make sure its not the front seal leaking first (behind the harmonic balancer), and if you pull the timing cover off I would consider replace the timing chain set.

Either job is not overly difficult but its pretty tedious work, I would consider a weekend or more to do this so you can take your time or deal with minor problems. You might need to loosen the motor mounts and drop the exhaust for pan clearance too. The timing cover is just a matter of taking stuff off thats in the way. You probably need to buy or get a loaner tool/rental for a harmonic balancer puller and also an installer.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Crawled under her again to tighten the bolts on oil pan first. Discovered 2 bolts missing and the two under the fan just spin. Took one out and there was metal in the thread like it pulled the thread out. So was told to just tap for next bigger size bolt.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Since I can't find for sure where the oil leak is coming from have decided to pull timing chain cover and replace the gasket. Someone told me that since I had the cover off I should go ahead and replace the timing chain. Also since I can't tell for sure where the leak is coming from and the problem with the bolts on the oil pan I am going to pull the pan, tap and drill for new bolts. Again someone told me since I have the pan off I should replace the oil pump, screen and the rear main seal. I have a Haynes manual and I can follow directions although i have never done this before. It does seem pretty straight forward. in the manual there is a big warning not to do the timing chain unless you have experience doing this. Someone else said to replace the water pump as well. So changing 2 gaskets has turned into huge task. Am I getting in over my head? Are there any tricks or best practices that I should pay attention to? Or should I just take it to a shop and let them do it? How long should I expect this to take? Any special tools that would make the job easier?
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Those two jobs really are not that bad. Have plenty of time to do them so you dont feel rushed. Pay attention to detail and clean everything real good, make note of where the bolts go because some of them are different. If you need to save a few bucks you can skip the water pump for now, you can also check the chain for slack/wear before you replace it, but if you are unsure then replace it for piece of mind and don't forget the front crank seal on the timing cover. I might consider re-using the oil pump too but thats another piece of mind thing, at least make sure the oil pick up screen gets cleaned. Definitely replace the rear main seal if you have the pan off. Use good quality gaskets like felpro.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

excellent thread here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...-style-782349/

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do I check to see if timing chain and oil pump is good or not? I have 140,000 miles on the odometer and don't know if it has ever been changed.
Here is the parts list please tell me if I am missing anything:
Crankshaft seal
Timing chain cover gasket
Timing chain set (gears, chain, tensioner, and ?)
Oil pan gasket
Oil pump & screen
Engine oil
Diff dope 75/90
Synchromesh for tranny
Torque wrench in/lbs. ft/lbs
Gear puller
Tap & die set sae & metric
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For the stripped out bolts I would look into a helicoil kit for that size. I know on one of my other cars I can't put a bigger bolt in the oil pan for clearance reasons. Just a suggestion.
Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.