Oil/Filter combo for rebuilt 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil/Filter combo for rebuilt 4.0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oil/Filter combo for rebuilt 4.0

Just got a rebuilt long block in my xj and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep it clean and running smooth. I've done some reading on other threads and it seems like the general consensus is to run an oversized filter and oil with high zinc and phosphorous content such as high mileage or diesel oil. My question is what is the appropriate oversized filter and is it better to run conventional or synthetic? I am going for the best filtration, flow, and longevity of my engine not to concerned with price or miles between changes. I had previously used conventional 10w30 and a standard filter.

2000NWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
chris_m

the correct oversize oil filter is the equivalent of the old FL1A filter, or, get a filter that fits an 80's ford mustang with a V8.
chris_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The FL-1A is the motorcraft number, Wix is 51515. Either one of those are good filters for the price. Conventional oil is just fine for these engines, most of the benefit to synthetic is for extended oil change intervals. Change the oil on time and keep it clean.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, is it bad to run high mileage oil in a new engine?
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Valvoline vr1 10w30 is what im pretty sure im going to be running in my freshly remaned engine after break in, for break in I went with brad penn break in oil. and for the first few oil changes ill be running just a regular napa gold filter since ill be changing after the first 500 and then 3000 for a couple changes at least before I extend changes greater change intervals (like maby 5k).

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000NWXJ View Post
Thanks, is it bad to run high mileage oil in a new engine?
I wouldn't use it for anything unless I was really trying to help an older engine. High mileage oils typically contain stop leak additives to soften or "condition" seals, they also tend to have more aggressive detergents to help dissolve sludge and build up from older engines.

Not that these oils are bad but I dont think there would be any benefit for you to run them on low miles or new engine.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
2000NWXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody know the number of the napa gold equivalent to the wix 51515. I know they are the same filter so I figure I'd go napa to save a couple bucks
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000NWXJ View Post
Anybody know the number of the napa gold equivalent to the wix 51515. I know they are the same filter so I figure I'd go napa to save a couple bucks

They also now have a Platinum filter.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.