Oil Extractor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil Extractor

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
knightsog
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Extractor

While researching maintenance issues on my neighbor's 2003 Mini I found that BMW uses oil extractors to change the engine oil. Forums show positive impressions. Apparently there are two commonly available; one from AutoSport and one from Mityvac. Has anyone out there used one of these and if so which model and why?

Thanks,
Gary

FCC USN Retired
Yokosuka, Japan
knightsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsog View Post
While researching maintenance issues on my neighbor's 2003 Mini I found that BMW uses oil extractors to change the engine oil. Forums show positive impressions. Apparently there are two commonly available; one from AutoSport and one from Mityvac. Has anyone out there used one of these and if so which model and why?

Thanks,
Gary
?? to lazy and rich to climb under and unscrew the bolt?

ive seen them the drain plug is just easier.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
knightsog
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Laziness is not the issue

I will not buy a new tool unless I know it can be used on several vehicles. Since I will be changing the oil on that Mini as well as my MGB, neither of which I can comfortably crawl under, I was just wondering if anyone had used these before. Why not make life easier? The AutoSport 7ltr allows you to transport the oil to the recycler easily, no chance for spillage under the engine, no need to wait for the engine to cool down. Pros use vacuum extraction so why not me too?
FCC USN Retired
Yokosuka, Japan
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Knightsog - did you try the oil extractor? Did you go with the AutoSport or Mityvac? I see lots of positive postings for these things in BMW forums. I'm wondering if they work just as well in a TJ.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I use the mityvac for my differentials since there is no drain plug and I have never been a fan of pulling the covers unless I need to. It works fine but takes awhile just to suck out a couple of qts.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I've always found that crawling under my rigs every 5K to change the oil is a grand excuse to inspect the rest of the undercarrage, lube the U joints and steering, look for leaks, broken or bad parts, etc......
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking of getting one so I won't have to drop the oil pan skid to change the oil. The oil pan skid connects to a small trans skid. Those two combine to not leave room to remove the oil pan drain plug.
Unread 12-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool the oil down before oil change?

Hey, hot oil flushes crap much better out than cold!
They had these "oil extractors" at gas stations for self service a couple of years ago. It turned out useless because you have to change the oil filter anyway.
As already mentioned, don't forget to lube the U-joints at every oil change.
A skid designed without an opening for an oil change? Where did you bought that?
Deezelweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
...As already mentioned, don't forget to lube the U-joints at every oil change...
Just replaced all U-joints with sealed Spicer's. No greasing (but I do grease all the other greasable spots).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
...A skid designed without an opening for an oil change? Where did you bought that?
Teraflex. The oil pan skid has a hole for the drain plug. But, when you add their transmission skid plate it pushes right up against the drain plug. Stupid design, but it's in place on my TJ and does provide good protection. I'll try out this extractor idea so I can change oil without undoing the skids.

Skids (when new)

Skids not so new. Oil pan drain plug blocked by hinge for trans skid.
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
chainz
1976 CJ5 

My Instructor in tech school was a master technician at BMW and it was common practice he said for the techs to use an extractor to change the oil. But you have to remember that you don't have to crawl under a BMW to change the oil as the filter is usually an inspectable cartridge type that is in front next to the valve cover usually and drops in and has a plastic cover. Just their way of staying clean and saving time.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
knightsog
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So any way...

...back to my original question. I guess only one who replied has tried it. Ahm gonna pick one up anywho. After 40 years of crawling under vehicles I'm kinda tarred of it. Tanks, guys.
FCC USN Retired
Yokosuka, Japan
Unread 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just received the Mityvac 7400 ($58- from Amazon). I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It worked as advertised. Sucked about 5 qts out of my TJ (4.0). Didn't spill a drop; and the old oil was in a canister that can be taken to your recycling place.

After you are done. You do need to store the 3 tubes (about 4' long) somewhere, and keep the residue oil from dripping. I wrapped the ends in a rag, wrapped with a rubber band, and shoved them inside a piece of 3" PVC tube I had laying around.

It does make an oil change easier, but not completely clean. I had several "spoons full" of oil drop out the filter when I removed it. So, you still need a catch pan, or a couple layers of newspaper at that point in the job.

Given I have an issue with my skid plate, I'm pleased with this tool for changing oil. If you don't mind climbing underneath and dealing with drain plug, and dealing with the oil in the catch pan - then I wouldn't bother with the extractor.
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Bumping this one post-pentastar. Anybody with the new engines used this method?
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.