Oil/Coolant Leak Into Manifolds? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Oil/Coolant Leak Into Manifolds?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oil/Coolant Leak Into Manifolds?

Need some gearhead expertise here. I have an 89 YJ 258 that has been converted to TBI.

Back in July of last year, my carb sucked the air cleaner hold down nut in. I found it on top of the #2 piston. Did some cleanup and reassembled with new gaskets and such. The manifold nuts and bolts were a real sucker to get at. Anyway it was a successful repair and I drove it until about November when I did a tear down restoration.

Well I got the junkyard tbi installed and the engine running. Running surprisingly well. But after 2-3min of idling I start getting white smoke rising from where the manifolds mate to the head. As if there is about 4 cigarettes lit and burning inside each port. And even some from the exhaust pipe where it 90's around the oil pan. It is not burnoff, I have run the jeep a few times now. With the jeep running, we found a leak here:

manifoldbolt.jpg

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I removed the manifolds and found that most of the bolts were loose and I had bolts where there should have been threaded rods, because the bolts bottomed out on the cyl. head bolts. That is probably what wasted this 4 mo. used gasket.
manifoldgasket.jpg

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, before I torque these manifolds down with new gaskets, I am wondering if I am getting oil/coolant in places that I shouldn't be and what I can look for. Or if I have found my issue with the loose bolts and wasted gasket.

Thanks!
blockpaintedwithgaskets.jpg

blockmanifoldside.jpg

Unread 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled out the #11 cyl. head bolt and used Hi Temp RTV Sealant on it. I may have used threadlocker the first time.
Unread 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
DCSCO
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post
So, before I torque these manifolds down with new gaskets, I am wondering if I am getting oil/coolant in places that I shouldn't be and what I can look for. Or if I have found my issue with the loose bolts and wasted gasket.

Thanks!
You found one issue for sure. You could use plastic-gage on a gasket-less bolt up to check for head or block irregularities.
DCSCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.