O2 sensors when to clean and when to replace - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > O2 sensors when to clean and when to replace

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post
Great info,
I was always under the impression the honey comb structure did nothing more than help the air become moist and it was the moisture that was the culprit that helped the emission's readings for the dinks or I mean Government...
Always glad to help clarify things. Converters are the main reason that most exhaust systems are stainless steel now, the h20 would speed the rust in the system from the inside out. Back in the day I worked for meineke, and the way we tested the pipes for strength was to squeeze them with a pair of channel locks, you'd be amazed at how many pipes looked solid, and crumbled when squeezed. The aluminized coating on the steel pipe was still good, but the pipes had rusted from the inside out.

__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
Speedymcracer01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 663
K thank you...by the way an hour ago i pulled my o2 sensor to see if it looked bad. When i pulled it out it was black and white i took a shop rag and wiped it off real good most of it came off except for some of the white. Is this normal wear for an o2 or is it looking like its about served its purpose and will need to be replaced soon?
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
K thank you...by the way an hour ago i pulled my o2 sensor to see if it looked bad. When i pulled it out it was black and white i took a shop rag and wiped it off real good most of it came off except for some of the white. Is this normal wear for an o2 or is it looking like its about served its purpose and will need to be replaced soon?
Like I said, it's hard to tell because the workings are inside, but it's normal to have some soot and stuff on the outside, the white is probably discoloration due to the high heat that the catalytic converter "lights off" at, and that would be quite normal.
__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Terry777
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
K thank you...by the way an hour ago i pulled my o2 sensor to see if it looked bad. When i pulled it out it was black and white i took a shop rag and wiped it off real good most of it came off except for some of the white. Is this normal wear for an o2 or is it looking like its about served its purpose and will need to be replaced soon?
What vehicle, what year, what sensor front rear?

Did you spray clean the inner part ? you should...
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Speedymcracer01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 663
98 GC Laredo the rear sensor and no i didn't use any chemicals i didn't want to spray anything inside of it
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Terry777
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
98 GC Laredo the rear sensor and no i didn't use any chemicals i didn't want to spray anything inside of it
It`s sealed inside should be fine. If not it wouldn`t last in those conditions...

look under Google in search images for O2 sensor...

The ones in the Jeeps from my understanding has a ceramic stem that takes the 1st line of the heat so that's the only part that is exposed, the heat passes through the ceramic and is absorbed from there to the other parts were the voltage is read by means of the temperatures. Sorry I can`t explain if colder temps give higher voltage reading or lower but it`s online if you want to know...
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Speedymcracer01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 663
Alright thanks for the info. I believe I'll just go ahead and replace it. It has nearly 200k miles on it and it's wires have been wrapped around the drive shaft before. So I'd say it's served it's purpose,and i might as well replace it now before it decides to go out on my way to work pr something
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #23
Terry777
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
Alright thanks for the info. I believe I'll just go ahead and replace it. It has nearly 200k miles on it and it's wires have been wrapped around the drive shaft before. So I'd say it's served it's purpose,and i might as well replace it now before it decides to go out on my way to work pr something
There is a product called sensor clean, did you reset the ECU after you cleaned the O2 sensor ?

I replaced the cat O2 sensor in my 91 Acura Integra due to it looking worn out and rusted on the outside only to have it make no difference and piss me off wasting $100, just a heads up I did reset the ECU...

I guess from all the warnings it`s about time I get a zap strap around my O2 wires before the get sucked in to the drive shaft.

Cheers
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Oh, if you ever blow a headgasket and coolant gets into the exhaust, you may as well go ahead and replace the converter and the sensors, coolant is deadly to both the converter and the sensors. Just FYI.
__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #25
Speedymcracer01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post

There is a product called sensor clean, did you reset the ECU after you cleaned the O2 sensor ?

I replaced the cat O2 sensor in my 91 Acura Integra due to it looking worn out and rusted on the outside only to have it make no difference and piss me off wasting $100, just a heads up I did reset the ECU...

I guess from all the warnings it`s about time I get a zap strap around my O2 wires before the get sucked in to the drive shaft.

Cheers
When i cleaned off the o2 i also cleaned the plugs and sanded my distributer electrodes inside and out including the ignition coil. When i do anything to sensors or ignition systems i take my battery out before i start. So it should have reset all that
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #26
5-90
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA, Hammerspace
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post
I took out both O2 sensors and cleaned them, the down pipe one has been replaced at some time but the rear one looks like it`s the original from 1997 :]

After cleaning them I noticed while in sitting in traffic it idles a lot smoother sometimes so smooth I thought it stalled...

With that said the rear one has been there for many years and just cleaning the soot off made a noticeable difference, but would a new one give any better temp reading? I`m not techy with electrical and the wires don`t feel crispy or have any signs wear just the outside housing is as old looking as the stock muffler no doubt the original one from 97...

Not sure what that inside prong of the sensor is made of, ceramic ?

Thanks for your time, Cheers

Edit : Forgot to mention I reset the ECU...
The sensing element is either a titania or zirconia porous ceramic, and the unit compares the oxygen content of exhaust gas and ambient air. (I don't recall which is which, but I think it's the zirconia ceramic that generates a voltage signal - being an "air battery" - and the titania that generates a variable resistance - which is used as a "voltage divider" on a reference voltage signal.)

The porous ceramic cannot be cleaned, and it eventually clogs up with carbon.

As far as service life? Spec for OBD-II is 60,000 miles for all sensors - field reports show useful life of 60,000-75,000 miles for the "upstream" sensors and up to 100,000 miles for the "downstream" sensors.

OBD-I is usually spec'd to about 75,000-80,000 miles, I've seen them go out to 110,000-120,000 or so.

Pre-OBD? I don't recall the spec life, but the longest-lasting HEGO I've seen still generating a useful signal had 220,000 miles on it...

(As the control systems get newer, they're pickier about the signals generated.)
__________________
"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Terry777
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
The porous ceramic cannot be cleaned, and it eventually clogs up with carbon.

So why when I clean just the O2 sensors the noticeable change in idle?

Seems misleading to say you can`t clean them leaving the assumption you must buy new. Don`t just take me word for it try it and see, it works...

Like I said before I already caved in once on my Acura and went with the new due to it looking old and it made didily squat of a change and you can`t return those only exchange... $100 waisted
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #28
vadslram
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 4,716
Sometimes you can clean them, sometimes you can't. It entirely depends on what the contaminate is. If all you have is a carbon buildup then by all means clean it and you will be happy. If you put some snake oil in the gas tank, you have leaking rings or intake valve stem seals, or your head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinders then the stuff that builds up on the sensor 1, won't just clean off anyway and 2. will actually change the electrical properties of the sensor causing false readings.
And that is just the exhaust stream part. If the seal where the wire comes out of the sensor is bad and water gets in it won't read right no matter how much cleaner you spray.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
The sensing element is either a titania or zirconia porous ceramic, and the unit compares the oxygen content of exhaust gas and ambient air. (I don't recall which is which, but I think it's the zirconia ceramic that generates a voltage signal - being an "air battery" - and the titania that generates a variable resistance - which is used as a "voltage divider" on a reference voltage signal.)

The porous ceramic cannot be cleaned, and it eventually clogs up with carbon.

As far as service life? Spec for OBD-II is 60,000 miles for all sensors - field reports show useful life of 60,000-75,000 miles for the "upstream" sensors and up to 100,000 miles for the "downstream" sensors.

OBD-I is usually spec'd to about 75,000-80,000 miles, I've seen them go out to 110,000-120,000 or so.

Pre-OBD? I don't recall the spec life, but the longest-lasting HEGO I've seen still generating a useful signal had 220,000 miles on it...

(As the control systems get newer, they're pickier about the signals generated.)
Yeah, what he said......
__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
V65Ozzie
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilson, nc
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry777 View Post
So why when I clean just the O2 sensors the noticeable change in idle?

Seems misleading to say you can`t clean them leaving the assumption you must buy new. Don`t just take me word for it try it and see, it works...

Like I said before I already caved in once on my Acura and went with the new due to it looking old and it made didily squat of a change and you can`t return those only exchange... $100 waisted
I finally put a stop to O2 returns where I work, employees were just taking them back for whatever reason, and doing a refund, so I basically had a bunch of used O2 sensors that worked just fine, that when I returned to the manufacturer, I lost my money. The "mechanics" in this area tend to guess, and when they guess wrong their customers want the money back, so they would return them as defective. Now we will defect exchange it once, no cash returns. Didn't make a lot of friends with that........
You'd be amazed at how much stuff these so called "mechanics" blame on an O2 sensor....
__________________
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.