NV3550 Manual Transmission Shifting Rough into 2nd and 3rd Gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > NV3550 Manual Transmission Shifting Rough into 2nd and 3rd Gears

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Dksjeep

NV3550 Manual Transmission Shifting Rough into 2nd and 3rd Gears

Hello,

I am new to JeepForum.com.

I recently purchased a used 2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L I6 with 78,013 miles. I have noticed that when shifting into 2nd gear, particularly at RPM's below 2,000, and into 3rd gear, it feels a little rough. I don't really hear any noise and it doesn't seem like it's grinding. It is more like it "catches" just before going into gear. At higher RPM's, shifting into 2nd gear is pretty smooth. Fluid level is full.

Is this something to be concerned about or normal with the NV3550 manual transmission?

Thanks for your help.

Dksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
halo26
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF...

Do some searching on the forum... there are countless posts on the problem you are describing.
Most ppl agree that the roughness is pretty "normal"... my nv3550 does the same thing. Its a truck tranny and not a sports car tranny after all.

That said... depending on how bad it is, you may need a new clutch, but with as few miles as u have I doubt it. You can also try changing the fluid... some ppl sware by royal purple, some ppl say to stick to the Mopar stuff.. again, a search will net a lot of good results.

When I bought my jeep (200k+ mi) the shift was pretty bad.. almost a grind there. So I put in a new clutch and changed the fluid. The grid went away and it got a lot better, but it still had the roughness you describe.... runs perfect, just rough. Aka welcome to jeep ownership LOL.

Cheers!
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Dksjeep

Thanks for the response. Pretty much what I figured. I went ahead and changed my transmission fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax. It didn't seem to really help the "problem", but I feel better anyhow. The old fluid was dirty and there was a lot of sludge and some fine metal shavings on the drain plug magnet. But no big chunks though.
Dksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.