not sure what axles to pick for yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > not sure what axles to pick for yj

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

not sure what axles to pick for yj

im building my 93 yj from ground up. i found a gm 14 bolt rear and a dana 44 front with detroit locker and 4.56 gears for 300. i also found a ford 9 rear and dana 44 front, both locked with "spools"? but not sure of the gear ratio for 250. im stuck on what to buy. can someone help me out.

Unread 02-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
slowlowford
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am in the same boat! I am guessing that the 44 withe the 14 bolt is from a Chevy. It will have the wrong side drop if you are sticking with your stock drive train. Also from reading, with the 14 bolt you will need some big tires to clear the pumpkin. The ford set up I think would be the best except for the front spool, but that is my opinion.
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to take the front spool out?
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
slowlowford
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You would need to get another carrier. It would not be bad if it had the gears you wanted. If not, you can find 9" and 44's all day long.
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What type engine are you running, what size tires, how much lift, what is the end result for the Jeep. These questions help in picking the correct axle for your application. If you have a 2.5L and are making a mall crawler with 2.5" lift and 2" body lift to run 33" tires then the stock Dana 30/35 combo on the 93 YJ is more than capable. If you have a SBC engine cranking 600hp and want to run a SOA lift and 35"+ tires, the Dana 60/14 bolt combo is a great choice.

Stock motor 4.0 with 2.5" lift, 1" body lift, fender trimmed, 33" tires. Dana 44" will do very nice but until you can get some suitible from say an International Scout or Old Bronco, the 30/35 combo is fine for mild wheeling. Without lockers that is.

If you put the nature of what you want to do with the Jeep it might be easier to decide the axles to use. What is the engine, lift, tire size, end use?
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
yjryder
2003 WJ 

I usually buy whatever the best deal is
yjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

its an inline 6 h.o. ive got a s.o.a with 3 inch lift springs and 1 inch body lift. currently 33" tires, but have them listed and am looking for 35's or bigger. its my daily driver, but i want to be able to go out and have fun on the weekends and be able to hang with the big dogs on the trail. my current dana 30/35 axles are not locked.
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would say at least go with a set of Dana 44 axles, if you have the money go G2 from 4wd for example they will run you $2520 each and you can pick the gear ratio and locker. Personal favorite if I was upgrading would be those G2 with 4.88 gears if you want 35s or taller tire, or 4.56 for 33-35" tires. Also depends on what your terrain you mostly ride on is. If your doing Mud then taller lift and tires are the best route. Judging by the fact you have a SOA which is normally 5.5 to 6 inches lift, plus 3" suspension springs and 1" body lift thats roughly 10 inches of lift not including bigger tires. I would imagine 33s look small on that much lift.

If your going for Rock and rough trails then higher is not better, the center of gravity is too high on that much lift not to mention what it will do in the long run on U Joints. I think the best suspension and axle setup for rocks on a YJ would be a 3" suspension spring under setup, CV Driveshaft and SYE on trans case, 33" tires and swapping on some TJ flares or cutting out some metal. Axles for a daily driven weekend rock warrior Dana 44s with 4.56 axle ratio. Muddy weekend warrior then maybe the same but 4.10 axles would be fine.

I run the dana 30/35 combo from a 2.5L in 4.10. I also have a 93 YJ with 4.0 and auto trans. I run 2.5" skyjacker springs, skyjacker shocks and steering stabalizer, 1" body lift and motor mount lift, and Im cutting a bit of fender to run TJ Sahara flares with the front cut to be like flat fenders. I have 33x10.5-15s on stock rims. Good combo and setup for my use.
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.