Not firing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Not firing

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 03-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
highlands124
1971 CJ5 

Not firing

My V6 will only fire on the drivers side cylinders 2,4 and 6 fire 1,3 and 5 don't. Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be the reason. Still has points but am installing electronic ignition. Any thoughts?

highlands124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

A couple...
First, how does your intake split? Many 225 V6 intakes split with the left side running on one barrel and the right on the other. If this is the case, your going to want to look at the carb to see what is up with the side running that particular bank of cylinders.
The 225 odd fire engine has a very particular firing sequence in relation to degrees of crank rotation and must be adhered to. This means the #1 plug wire must be in the tower labeled 1, with the rest of the firing order correct and in the right direction.
Insure the point gap (dwell) is set and there is no play in the distributor shaft.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
highlands124
1971 CJ5 

That is today's project. Really hoping its an electrical issue and not mechanical. Any suggestions on which electronic ignition to install? Picking up points and rotor etc. and starting from scratch.
It appears to be getting fuel on both sides so thinking its gotta be electric.
Thanks for your help, may need some more after today.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Stock HEI from a 76 Buick Regal (or any Buick or Pontiac offering in 76 or 77 with the 231 oddfire engine). Should be available from such places as NAPA. You may need to shave the front intake bolt and possibly the intake to get it to drop (stock vehicles of that year used a "button" headed bolt to clear the bottom of the dist). Pretty simple one wire install, needing only to bypass the ballast resistor.
I still would like you to take a look at the intake. In my experience anytime you loose half an engine, it is generally a carburetor problem.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
highlands124
1971 CJ5 

Frustrated

Worked on it all day with my very good mechanic friend (he's good 22 years at Ford. Restores cars from ground up and can rebuild an engine with his eyes closed). He is stumped for the first time since I've known him.
He checked the intake (removed, checked and reinstalled) and says we are getting fuel to both sides and have spark on all 6 just 1,3,5 won't fire.
He says the dist. appears to be working along with the carb.
The engine was rebuilt by a shop in Tacoma WA never used and just parked because of other project so I really do not know if it fired on all 6 when I got it back.
My thought is to install electronic ignition and go from there then I can eliminate the dist as a possible issue.
My buddy says it could be the wrong cam but the valves are opening in the right sequence.
So to me if dist and carb are working it must be a timing issue. We will recheck the carb tomorrow but he says it's working as designed.
What mechanical issue could also cause no fire to 1,3 and 5 any thoughts?
I believe it's the stock engine. I keep hearing 225 v6 and 231 v6. Which one did jeep use?
What would you suggest? I really appreciate your taking an interest.

Last edited by highlands124; 03-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: Added sentence

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.