noob needing some help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > noob needing some help...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 08-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
mrtosh
2005 WK 

noob needing some help...

mrtosh's Profile
Please help. Noob..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I didn't really know where to post this. I just bought a '89 Cherokee Laredo l6, 5spd., w/about 195,000 mi on it. The problem I'm having right now is that when it's in part time or 4hi, driving down the road I get a random clunking in the front end you can even feel it under your feet. Anybody know what this might be? I'm wondering if the fork in the front end isn't quite engaging all the way...? I did however get underneath and check the vacuum hoses that lead to the solenoid on the front axle. They were very loose(just pulled right off). The clunk is pretty noticeable. I'm pretty sure it's not the tranny mount, seeing as how I can be going in second at about 3,000 rpm holding steady and it will just randomly clunk. Please help guys..

Sorry for the long post...

mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
mrtosh
2005 WK 

anybody???
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Does it do it in 2wd? You should not be in part-time when on the street anyway, your TC will bind.

Sorry I am not very familiar with the vacuum CAD Dana 30 (CAD = central axle disconnect)

HTH

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
mrtosh
2005 WK 

I haven't felt it in 2 wheel. Only 4hi...
Unread 08-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
96JXJ

Check the u-joints on the front axle shafts. JIM.
Unread 08-15-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Update: Did do a little muddin' this evening. In 2wheel w/the rears spinning it made the sound again. It was definently coming from the front though. It almost sounds like something spinning then hitting something. W/the rears spinning it would clunk........clunk..... Then after a few times going back through it was gone...??? I even put it in 4 hi and drove through the mud. All was ok no clunk. I did however go back on the gravel road and going straight in 4hi, holding steady at 3,000 rpm's in third, it did it again, clunk.... Put 'er back in 2 hi and problem gone. Whaddya guys think.
Unread 08-15-2006, 02:18 AM   #7
mrtosh
2005 WK 

When at speed, it almost feels like it's slipping up front somewhere..
Unread 08-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That old with that mileage, check everything!! Nothing down there is meant to last that long (u-joints, bushings, ball joints, steering rod ends, shocks) and you have no idea what got replaced when. Assume everything is bad and check them one by one to figure out what isn't.
Unread 08-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

check the front drive shaft... mine does something simular and i have a loose front drive shaft that needs replaced.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
mrtosh
2005 WK 

I checked the u-joints, axle shafts, even the tranny mount. All seems clear. I called the previous owner and asked if it had ever done that to him before. He told me it did something similar when he had a bad vacuum leak in the manifold. It does have a vacuum leak somewhere. It idles up and down, and if i pump the brakes, the idle goes up....

I'm wondering if it loses vacuum at higher rpm's and causes the fork in the front end to disengage.... Sound farfetched??? I'm thinking of replacing the vacuum lines from the solenoid to the metal lines w/vacuum line.. Worth a try. What do you guys think?
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Is there anyway it could be the tranny mount? Kinda weird that it happens at a constant speed. I'm wondering also, if it could be vacuum related. Like the fork isn't engaging or holding in place at upper rpm's... It's an out there guess but i don't know......
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
mrtosh
2005 WK 

By the way my part-time light has been flashing on and off. Could this be vacuum related as well?
Unread 08-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
mrtosh
2005 WK 

So when I'm on the throttle the part-time light goes out. When I go to upshift and let off on the gas, the light comes on. Whaddya guys think? And where does the black line from the shift actuator go to on the firewall?
Unread 08-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #14
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know this true on a YJ, might be on yours too. Here is the logic: The light switch activated by the motion of the axle disconnect shift fork. The shift fork is driven by engine vacuum, both engaging and disengaging. However, the mechanical shift fork has a light weight spring it in forcing the fork in the disengaged position [maybe to be sure the system is fully in one state with no vacuum at all present]. This spring is easily overridden by a proper vacuum system, so 4wd stays engaged. So, if vacuum gets poor while in 4wd, the spring could tend to disengage 4wd, which would turn the light off.
Unread 08-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
mrtosh
2005 WK 

When I'm in two wheel is when the light comes on and off, coenciding w/the throttle... In 4wd the light changes randomly. Dont know. I might change the vacuum lines and just zip tie everything down, and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.