Non jeep weird waterleak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Non jeep weird waterleak

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Non jeep weird waterleak

I have a 1982 Chevrolet C20 with the 6.2 diesel.

Everytime i check the coolantlevel its always missing about 5qts.
I have checked the oil and it looks ok and the level never changes.
It dont leak on the outside of the engine and if all that water would be in the cylinder it would have thrown a rod a long time ago.
It dont smoke like they do when there are coolant in the cylinders either..

I though that the transcooler in the radiator maybe had sprung a leak and let the water go in the trans but then i would have had ATF in the coolant and there are no oil in it + the trans would have quit a long time ago.

Its always 5qts that is missing and never less or more, even if i let it sit for months its always just 5qts that have disappeared....

So does anyone have an idea of where my coolant is going?

Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How has it been maintained? The 6.2's needed the cooling system maintained well and a good dose of additive like DCA or similar. I've had several high-mileage engines with head and/or intake gaskets that disintegrated. The worst was a head gasket leaking as you describe (no water in oil, nothing visible) with a groove (sort of) worn under the gasket to the outside edge of the block.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.