Non-JEEP owner looking for answers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Non-JEEP owner looking for answers.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
DukeMinski

Non-JEEP owner looking for answers.

Not a JEEP owner, but a close friend bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee back in November from a nearby JEEP dealership.
He took the GC to a different dealer (closer to home) yesterday to get some "things" checked out. The mechanics at the 2nd dealer told him that he needs to replace:
a)Front Differential,
b)Transfer Case, and maybe
c)Rear Differential.
Total cost will be close to $6,000!
Reasons they gave for the damage:
1) Worn or "bad" tires on one side of vehicle with good tires on the other side caused vehicle to stay in 4WD full time, leading to excessive wear on DIFF's and Trans.Case; and
2) Low oil levels in DIFF's and Trans.Case. Mechanics said they couldn't even find the oil level in the front DIFF it was so low. Trans.Case was almost as bad and both will need to be replaced. Rear Diff might be saved by routine service & fresh oil.

MY QUESTIONS:
*Does this sound plausible??? Bad TIRES can cause that much damage to a 4WD drive-train??? Really???
*Wouldn't the selling dealership disclose the issue of mis-matched tires (in terms of wear) prior to selling the vehicle???
*Wouldn't the mechanics at the selling dealership know to check oil levels before selling the vehicle???
*Was the real cause of the damage the low oil levels???

DukeMinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

what 4x4 system does it have? quadradrive, quadratrac? being in 4x4 all the time could wear the transfercase and front differential excessively. back before i was mechanically inclined i had a 98 5.9 grand cherokee and it had mismatched tires and i never checked the front differential and i blew it up. it had a warranty so it needed a new diff and a new transfer case so your situation is plausible. as for that dealership........ they should know better. i bought my wifes 05 gc from a ford dealer cuz i dont trust any of the jeep dealers out here (plus they charge more)
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brakes dude. Be VERY cautious of both dealers. I highly doubt you have 6 k in repairs. Do this, put the fluid back in the front and rear diffs, put the fluid back into the transfer case. I doubt you were in 4 wheel drive the entire time, you would have noticed, the 4wd light would be on, etc. regarding the mismatched tires, I doubt it was enough to cause any damage, was the car driven tilted? Wouldn't you notice? Plus I'm pretty sure it's an open diff up front anyway, someone can chime in and correct me.

I would take your issues one at a time and ignore the fearmongoring stealerships. If your diffs are damaged you can tell, they will grind, buzz, while your driving, or just grenade.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Jeep4869
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think worn tires would make enough difference....even if it is quad track there open diffs.. If its not making noise..clunking etc...take it for a second opinion...and DONT tell em what the other mechanic said...they want your money too!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.