noisy lifters after timing chain replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > noisy lifters after timing chain replacement

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
jeffarcher401
1979 J-Series Truck 

noisy lifters after timing chain replacement

Was plowing snow in low range of course (basically just off idle) and the engine just quit. Wouldn't start but just knew it was the timing chain. 360 has an edelbrock performer kit (chain, cam, intake and 4bbl carb) with about 100K on it. Ran really strong with no oil consumption (could pull the mountains around here in 3rd (400 turbo quadra trac) with no problem). Ok replaced the timing cover due to scored oil pump gears, fuel pump eccentric, fuel pump, another edelbrock timing set and new oil pump gears. Tolerances came in to spec on oil pump. Before had about 40lbs. oil pressure at start up then drops to 20 and even less at idle monitoring crappy factory gauge. After is the same senerio but hung a gauge on at pump and actually reads around 20 at idle which I can live with. The problem is the valve train is for better words clattery which it wasn't before the timing chain went. Been driving it so lifters could pump up but no change. Really noisy at start up then quiets down some after warm up. Engine runs strong as before, even better. Didn't pull any valve covers yet (waiting for the weather to break) so don't know if rocker arms are loose or if the upper end is actually getting any oil. Any suggestions before I tear into it would be appreciated. Thanks.

jeffarcher401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffarcher401 View Post
Was plowing snow in low range of course (basically just off idle) and the engine just quit. Wouldn't start but just knew it was the timing chain. 360 has an edelbrock performer kit (chain, cam, intake and 4bbl carb) with about 100K on it. Ran really strong with no oil consumption (could pull the mountains around here in 3rd (400 turbo quadra trac) with no problem). Ok replaced the timing cover due to scored oil pump gears, fuel pump eccentric, fuel pump, another edelbrock timing set and new oil pump gears. Tolerances came in to spec on oil pump. Before had about 40lbs. oil pressure at start up then drops to 20 and even less at idle monitoring crappy factory gauge. After is the same senerio but hung a gauge on at pump and actually reads around 20 at idle which I can live with. The problem is the valve train is for better words clattery which it wasn't before the timing chain went. Been driving it so lifters could pump up but no change. Really noisy at start up then quiets down some after warm up. Engine runs strong as before, even better. Didn't pull any valve covers yet (waiting for the weather to break) so don't know if rocker arms are loose or if the upper end is actually getting any oil. Any suggestions before I tear into it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Check for bent pushrods... I don't know if the AMC 360 has enough clearance for the valves to completely miss the pistons or not when the chain breaks (I do know, for example, that the Mopar 318 does not, so it doesn't have to be a "high performance" engine to bend valvetrain parts :-/) Since the engine runs strong I'm guessing that even if you did kiss a few valves it didn't bend the valves themselves, but it could have tweaked the pushrods which now causes a little too much clearance in the valve train.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.