NOISE in 5th gear, spreading to other gears. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > NOISE in 5th gear, spreading to other gears.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

NOISE in 5th gear, spreading to other gears.

I've looked around for threads on this and I can't seem to find anyone with the exact same situation.

So this morning I was cruising on the highway in 5th, and started hearing a terrible sound. I'd describe it like this: put a bunch of bolts in a plastic tupperwear container and shake it around. I didn't loose the functionality of the gear, but that noise clearly is not right. I downshifted to 4th and was able to get where I needed to go...slowly. I tried putting it back into 5th just for fun, and the sound is still there, but it is interesting to me that the gear is still functional.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? I have a pretty limited amount of tools in my garage, but I like to avoid mechanics as much as possible. If I was going to take a guess at the issue, I'd guess that maybe one of the connecting pins within the gear has broken and is rattling around? I feel like this might be a very time consuming fix, but it might be worth it because I can see an auto shop charging a ton for something like this. I honestly can't afford anything over like $2-300 right now.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

As an update to this, I was driving around town tonight and started hearing noise in my other gears as well. Not nearly as bad as 5th gear, but definitely not good.

mrbriteside1465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1994 jeep wrangler by the way...about 160,000 miles
mrbriteside1465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have summoned MeanMax for you. His graciousness will hopefully be here shortly.

Good luck!

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay. My daughters were playing on my phone, so I was away for a bit. They're the reason I live, so I try to make them feel special!

What motor & transmission are we talking about?

Any change when the clutch pedal is depressed?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5th gear , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.