No start after intake gasket replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > No start after intake gasket replacement

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Batterzazu

No start after intake gasket replacement

Ok, I replaced more than the intake gasket. I replaced number five piston, head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket and so on. After replacing everything I started the (99 4.0 Grand Cherokee) and the engine knock I was trying to remedy was gone:-) but much to my dismay I had a nasty exhaust leak. After some research I found that I was sold the incorrect intake gasket. I pulled the Jeep out of the garage to be worked on when I could get another gasket (it ran great minus the exhaust leak) fast forward two weeks. Pulled the Jeep in to replace the intake gasket. Replaced it and the Jeep started but ran like crud and died quickly. I looked with a remote camera and notice that the alignment pin in the intake was not in the correct place ( air leak= run like crap right?)

Tore it all down again and aligned the pins correctly and buttoned it up. Now the darn thing will not start at all. After an hour or two of resting and trying not to just throw a match to the darn thing I tried to see if the computer threw any codes but it showed none.

Finally after cranking it over at least twenty times it pulled a Trouble code ( crank or cam positioning sensor)

Before the original tear down I replaced the CPS with a aftermarket sensor and after messing around with it I got it to run OK.

HELP!!!

Batterzazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
mikekeller

I gotta ask this just to narrow the possibilities of issues.

1) Did you touch the timing set up at all?
2) Is the CPS you bought faulty? (Happened to me.)
3) Have you pulled the spark plugs to make sure they didn't foul out when it ran like sh*t?
mikekeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Batterzazu

I did replace the the timing chain and gears. The CPS is "open" between each of the pins so it tests ok but i have thought of replacing it with an OEM. I have not checked the plugs but have checked for spark at each plug.
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Batterzazu

Ok, new CPS solved the running problem but it is throwing a cam positioning circuit code. P0340
I am going to replace the plugs tomorrow and see if it smooths out.
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
mikekeller

Did the plugs do it? You may wanna check your cam positions to make sure there correct. Normally your engine will run rough if their off, but sometimes it'll just through a code with no other real symptoms. Until you start driving.
mikekeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.