no spark, out of ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > no spark, out of ideas

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
benjiridenhour
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no spark, out of ideas

So basically the background of what happened:
I threw a rod through my oil pan but pretty much dumped my whole third cylinder into the oil pan. So I just counted that engine as a loss, which was a 1998 2.5L engine. I decided to just throw a used 1997 2.5L that was certified good that i found online and had it shipped to me already (I know how many people strongly advise to just do bigger swap, but I am going do one when I get the money) So i have already put the new engine in and can not get a spark with anything that I try we can however get it to crank, just not turn over.

Here's what we've done so far:
-Checked for voltage at the cam position sensor: we got 5V in all the plugs? seems weird that they were all constant even with the jeep just on, not even cranking. We even rotated the engine to try to get the sensor out of the pick up, but it still reads the same. The sensor came off of my old Jeep which was working when it threw the rod, so I assume it is still good?
-We have done continuity checks throughout everything, so no wires were severed and they all match up to the diagram for the connectors going into the pcm.
-I went ahead and replaced the crank position sensor. I looked online and saw that it should show infinite resistance between terminals b and c, but both the old one and new one showed some resistance, not much, but some?
-We swapped the ASD relay with the horn relay and it checked out fine

I am popping some codes: P0123, P0118, P0113, P0463, and P1492. I searched for all of these and I know P0118 is the only one I found that could cause a no spark condition and thats the engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high or something.

I was wondering if the ECM/PCM would work from my 1998 with the new 1997 engine?
Any advice would be helpful. I am a big do it yourself guy, but I am ready to take it to a mechanic!

benjiridenhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
jemello89

Chain break?

Coil?
Rotor?
jemello89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
benjiridenhour
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well we were only getting a very small amount of voltage up to the coil. not even a volt. sorry, i forgot to put that in the beginning. but its my old coil and whole distributor assembly from my old engine. i took it apart and the and cap look like theyre in good shape.
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
jemello89

Idk it sounds like you might have a faulty cap/rotor. Should not have constant voltage to all the plugs.
jemello89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
benjiridenhour
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All the plugs of the cam sensor*, not spark plugs. I'm not getting voltage to the coil, much less the distributor
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiridenhour View Post
So basically the background of what happened:
I threw a rod through my oil pan but pretty much dumped my whole third cylinder into the oil pan. So I just counted that engine as a loss, which was a 1998 2.5L engine. I decided to just throw a used 1997 2.5L that was certified good that i found online and had it shipped to me already (I know how many people strongly advise to just do bigger swap, but I am going do one when I get the money) So i have already put the new engine in and can not get a spark with anything that I try we can however get it to crank, just not turn over.

Here's what we've done so far:
-Checked for voltage at the cam position sensor: we got 5V in all the plugs? seems weird that they were all constant even with the jeep just on, not even cranking. We even rotated the engine to try to get the sensor out of the pick up, but it still reads the same. The sensor came off of my old Jeep which was working when it threw the rod, so I assume it is still good?
-We have done continuity checks throughout everything, so no wires were severed and they all match up to the diagram for the connectors going into the pcm.
-I went ahead and replaced the crank position sensor. I looked online and saw that it should show infinite resistance between terminals b and c, but both the old one and new one showed some resistance, not much, but some?
-We swapped the ASD relay with the horn relay and it checked out fine

I am popping some codes: P0123, P0118, P0113, P0463, and P1492. I searched for all of these and I know P0118 is the only one I found that could cause a no spark condition and thats the engine coolant temperature sensor circuit high or something.

I was wondering if the ECM/PCM would work from my 1998 with the new 1997 engine?
Any advice would be helpful. I am a big do it yourself guy, but I am ready to take it to a mechanic!
Everyone of those codes have one message; voltage to (fill in the blank) too high. I would guess that your '97 engine's sensors do not like the 98PCM voltage values they are getting.
And the engine controllers are different part numbers for the 97 and 98 model years plus there are ~ 4 different ones for each year with the 2.5.

How about you swap in all the '98 sensor into the '97 engine you replaced the '98 ebgine with?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

OBDII trouble codes;
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...etails-734714/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.