No spark!!! - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
bigtom89
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: fort myers
Posts: 20
No spark!!!

Ok guys,
1988 Jeep YJ with a 4.2 that's been nuttered. 3 weeks ago I hit an exposed manhole that cause me to lose all power in the Jeep. I have replaces the fuseable links, ICM, coil and complete distributor and still no spark. The motor turns over but still no spark. I have pulled every fuse to make it was still good. Any suggestions, or ways to direct wire it?


1988 Wrangler YJ, 4"lift on 33" BFG Mud Terrians
bigtom89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 AM
123YJ
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Wolf
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom89
Ok guys,
1988 Jeep YJ with a 4.2 that's been nuttered. 3 weeks ago I hit an exposed manhole that cause me to lose all power in the Jeep. I have replaces the fuseable links, ICM, coil and complete distributor and still no spark. The motor turns over but still no spark. I have pulled every fuse to make it was still good. Any suggestions, or ways to direct wire it?
Dealing with similar problem (ie: randomly stalling out, will crank over but not fire up...and it's progressively getting worse). Replaced coil since I was getting no spark out of coil but still having 12 volts going to the coil. Negative lead to coil shows 35 ohms. My research indicates a bad ICM. Some have shared they bought a bad new ICM and replaced it several times.

I'm now looking into the HEI distributer, which eliminates the external ICM & coil.
123YJ is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ View Post
Dealing with similar problem (ie: randomly stalling out, will crank over but not fire up...and it's progressively getting worse). Replaced coil since I was getting no spark out of coil but still having 12 volts going to the coil. Negative lead to coil shows 35 ohms. My research indicates a bad ICM. Some have shared they bought a bad new ICM and replaced it several times.

I'm now looking into the HEI distributer, which eliminates the external ICM & coil.
Get an HEI. They run so much better with it.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Jeep Technical Photos


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruiser54 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
123YJ
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mount Wolf
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54

Get an HEI. They run so much better with it.
Cruiser54,

Just ordered a CRT Performance HEI for my '89 4.2L I-6 an hour ago. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
123YJ is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ View Post
Cruiser54,

Just ordered a CRT Performance HEI for my '89 4.2L I-6 an hour ago. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
You will not be disappointed.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Jeep Technical Photos


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruiser54 is offline  
Reply

Tags
4.2 liter , coil , ignition , spark , YJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome