No spark!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > No spark!!!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No spark!!!

Ok guys,
1988 Jeep YJ with a 4.2 that's been nuttered. 3 weeks ago I hit an exposed manhole that cause me to lose all power in the Jeep. I have replaces the fuseable links, ICM, coil and complete distributor and still no spark. The motor turns over but still no spark. I have pulled every fuse to make it was still good. Any suggestions, or ways to direct wire it?

Unread 08-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom89
Ok guys,
1988 Jeep YJ with a 4.2 that's been nuttered. 3 weeks ago I hit an exposed manhole that cause me to lose all power in the Jeep. I have replaces the fuseable links, ICM, coil and complete distributor and still no spark. The motor turns over but still no spark. I have pulled every fuse to make it was still good. Any suggestions, or ways to direct wire it?
Dealing with similar problem (ie: randomly stalling out, will crank over but not fire up...and it's progressively getting worse). Replaced coil since I was getting no spark out of coil but still having 12 volts going to the coil. Negative lead to coil shows 35 ohms. My research indicates a bad ICM. Some have shared they bought a bad new ICM and replaced it several times.

I'm now looking into the HEI distributer, which eliminates the external ICM & coil.
123YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ View Post
Dealing with similar problem (ie: randomly stalling out, will crank over but not fire up...and it's progressively getting worse). Replaced coil since I was getting no spark out of coil but still having 12 volts going to the coil. Negative lead to coil shows 35 ohms. My research indicates a bad ICM. Some have shared they bought a bad new ICM and replaced it several times.

I'm now looking into the HEI distributer, which eliminates the external ICM & coil.
Get an HEI. They run so much better with it.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
123YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54

Get an HEI. They run so much better with it.
Cruiser54,

Just ordered a CRT Performance HEI for my '89 4.2L I-6 an hour ago. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
123YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123YJ View Post
Cruiser54,

Just ordered a CRT Performance HEI for my '89 4.2L I-6 an hour ago. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick
You will not be disappointed.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.2 liter , coil , ignition , spark , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.