No muffler Q - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > No muffler Q

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-26-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

No muffler Q

I have a big *** crack in my Flowmaster and its heating up my floor to the point of igniting a towel on the floor. Anyway, can I take off the muffler completly for a little while till I get my Magnaflow. Will is sound like a lawn mower or have any negative affects. Its right after the cat, so I was hoping it would be ok for a temp period of time.

Unread 04-26-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
I have a big *** crack in my Flowmaster and its heating up my floor to the point of igniting a towel on the floor. Anyway, can I take off the muffler completly for a little while till I get my Magnaflow. Will is sound like a lawn mower or have any negative affects. Its right after the cat, so I was hoping it would be ok for a temp period of time.
It should be fine.. Prob sound like a giant *** goin down the road.. but thats cool. Just get more people to look at you. Dont floor it next to the cops.. prob get a little pissed at ya for that.

I plan on doing the same thing soon while I wait for my flowmaster..
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
JoeShmoXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

like he said above, the truck will sounds like a giant ***, your friends will be able to hear it starting 2 blocks away, and.. your probably going to piss some cops off. but as long as you dont rev the thing up for no reason, it should be bearable.
44 Rear: Aussie/Crown Vic Disks/4.88's
JoeShmoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
CanukYJ

I had a small v6 (3.0l engine) in a minivan once and I busted the muffler right off at the manifold pipe on a stump while hammering through a bog (lol this was before I got my jeep, born to drive one huh?) and when it let lose lemme tell ya…I have never in my life heard a louder engine! I had to drive 250miles home with the muffler busted off and just hanging via a coat hanger (so it would not drag). Know how LOUD a REAL harley is when they open those buggers up full throttle? That ear bashing explosion of noise? Picture that but AT LEAST twice as loud. I had a cop actually STOP giving someone else a ticket JUST to pull me over and fine me 300$ for disturbing the peace and failing to meet vehicular requirements for our roadways! That 250mile trek home…lemme tell you…I still think I have ear damage lol. It will be much louder than you think.

Oh and btw, you could EASILY hear that engine from 4 blocks away (at least) and that was only crusing at like 1200rpm. Anything abot 2000rpm was just not an option (blow your eardrums) and even idling you could barely talk to the guy beside you, it was like standing in front of a semi idling diesel and trying to carry on a conversation, just not feasible. I'm not trying to discourage, I'm just letting you know what it -may- be like.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

Last edited by CanukYJ; 04-26-2004 at 05:53 PM..
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2004, 05:14 AM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Yeah I remember a guy I went wheelin with busted his pipes right after the header and it was ungodly. There was fire shootin out, looked really cool as it was getting dark out. But mine is after the cat so I don't think (hope) it'll be that loud. It'll only be for a few days or so, so hopefully I won't get pulled over. If I do, I'll be pissed, and you'll here about it.

Do you guys know if you can run a magnaflow muffler backwards. Someone was saying since they have a straight through design that you can do that. Thanks
Unread 04-29-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
Yeah I remember a guy I went wheelin with busted his pipes right after the header and it was ungodly. There was fire shootin out, looked really cool as it was getting dark out. But mine is after the cat so I don't think (hope) it'll be that loud. It'll only be for a few days or so, so hopefully I won't get pulled over. If I do, I'll be pissed, and you'll here about it.

Do you guys know if you can run a magnaflow muffler backwards. Someone was saying since they have a straight through design that you can do that. Thanks
If it's after the cat it won't be so bad. I had mine unbolted after the cat for a little bit and it only sounded a little louder than stock... mostly just throatier actually. Shouldn't be a problem at all for you.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
ZmOz

On my '90 the stock muffler had a giant rust hole in it and was rattling, so I just cut it off right at the cat. I had planned in putting in another $15 muffler, but never got around to it. It didn't sound bad at all...I actually liked it. Almost like a V8. It DEFINATELY wasn't very loud, with the windows up and the radio (stock one) at a medium volume I couldn't even hear it.
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2004, 10:38 PM   #8
bassicrob

I've been running mine w/o a muffler since I lost it at Paragon last summer. The sound is annoying, and will will notice a little bog on performance. Downshifts soud cool, but acceleration you have to give it a little more pedal to go, often resulting in the auto downshifting and shift back up again. Its been on my list to fix, but haven't gotten around to it, or much anything for that matter.

Sounds quieter in the cab than it really is. I've had problems at drivethru windows and you can hear me coming from about 1/2mile away.
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
CJ-5

Cool

Cool........... Floor Heat........lol
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.